Yale Zwave Door Lock - In "FAILED" state

Hi Everyone!
h
So, i'm new to HE. Ive been migrating stuff slowly from SmartThings over to HE. I've recently paired a Yale Zwave Door lock. Unlike ST, i've had to move the hub over to the device I want to pair. So, I brought it down near the lock, re-pair the device, and got it connected. Issued some codes, it could open/close. All good.

Next day I moved my hub back to its original location. Now i'm trying to get the lock to work, and it's not locking/unlocking. Since I moved the hub, it did see 1 action where I locked it, but now nothing. I've swappebd batteries, my codes work. Just no communication back to the hub. I guess it can't reach the hub? But what's funny is, there's a zwave plus switch right next to it. So, if it can't get to the hub directly (it's actually about 15 feet away but through some external walls) it should be using the zwave swtich as a mesh. I've tried to do the repair on my whole zwave network, but I still have several devices that simply say "not responding" and still work, but this one just says failed.

What should I do next?

Do you have any z-wave repeaters very close to the Hubitat, as opposed to the lock? By protocol design, I believe the hub will repeat via the repeater closest to the hub.

And it needs to be a beaming repeater that supports FLIRS. The switch might not (but probably does if it’s Z-Wave Plus). Battery powered locks are sleepy and need to be woken up. I believe you probably need a beaming repeater near the lock (within 5 feet or so). That solved my Schlage issues.

I'm 90% sure the switch next to it is a zwave plus GE has to switch. (I know it's a jasco) and it's 100% fine. Not sure what beaming is though. :-/

Also, there's a zwave plus door sensor above it. It works just fine.

Yes, but the door sensor is probably battery powered, so no beaming.

Search these forums for beaming and FLIRS for full discussion.

Yeah, what I meant was, there are two devices next to each other that are battery powered, one of them works just fine, the lock does not.

I'll take a look.

Oddly enough, I just paired a monoprice recessed zwave sensor and the same thing kind of happened. It paired, but then once I put it downstairs, no more chatter.

I believe this post, from the Hubitat hardware guy (Mike Maxwell, who is quite an expert) is the one that caused me to go out & get beaming repeaters, which solved my Schlage issues.

A complete discussion is here:

Edit: the Hubitat hub (at least the C-5, the C-7 is better) seems to have a weaker Z-Wave signal than the SmartThings hub, but repeaters can solve this issue.

And welcome to the Hubitat community!

I just recently moved from ST to Hubitat myself. I was given some great advice that worked out really well for me. It may not be ideal because of your home layout, what you want to migrate first, but here goes. Don't move your hub to your devices, it will just cause problems latter. Start with the z-wave + devices closest to your hub and work out. Remember that a device on another floor maybe closer than a device "just" down the hall. Install battery operated devices last. After you have joined 20 devices do a z-wave repair and wait at least an hour before continuing (24 hours is best but not practical). The object is to build a stable mesh before you add battery powered devices. If you move your hub to the devices, it messes up the routs when you move the hub back. It worked out well for me, and my Schlage lock paired without a problem. One problem I did have, was excluding devices from ST that were farther out because I have destroyed it's mesh. I had to force delete them and do manual resets of the devices to pair them with Hubitat. Good Luck

Thanks! That did the trick! Although, I'm having some different problems with it now.

I can trigger the lock to lock, I added in a rule that locks it at 10:00. I can run that automation and it locks it. However, last night it didn't lock. According to the events page, it never locked, even when I do it manually or through the devices.list.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.