Yale Zigbee Lock Driver - Unlocked Via / Locked Via Information

In the information logs I see excellent information that lets me know how the lock was locked or unlocked, e.g.

Front Door was unlocked via key or thumbturn [physical]
Front Door was locked via button [physical]
Front Door was locked via key or thumbturn [physical]

In my use case I have a cat sitter coming to take care of my little ones. Based on the unlock code that I have assigned I take various actions around the house e.g. turn on lights, turn on water within the house, etc. when she arrives. This is easy because of the unlock code trigger capabilities.

Additionally, I want to automate certain actions when I know that she has left. The "...locked via button" would give me the necessary trigger event since I would then know that she has left and locked the door from outside of the house. Note: "Button" in this case is reported only when the outside keypad is used to lock.

Unfortunately, I see no attribute that gives me this "un/locked via..." information. Am I missing something?

If not then I would suggest that it would be helpful to expose this information as an attribute. That is to say a text attribute "un/locked via" with values of: "key or thumbturn", "button", "command", etc.

Many thanks, Norbert

Can you show a screenshot from the Events page for the lock device? There may be a way around this.

Yes, turns out there is :smile: and thanks! Would still be nice if this could be handled directly.

Unfortunately, the built-in local variables cannot be accessed directly in the rule machine drop down menus so you have to create your own first, assign from the existing built-in variable and then utilize it as follows. A bit of a kluge but it works!

Thank you for reaching out!

2 Likes

That's where I was headed. Glad you got it worked out.

1 Like

Hi, could you elaborate on this rule slightly? This looks interesting. Why are you searching for the string "Ours" for instance?

Hello! "Ours" is an appropriate search term in our environment because I labeled a particular lock code in the Lock Code Manager with that name. Notice that another lock code refers to Rhonda, our neighbor who has access to our house.

To determine the best search phrases in your situation I recommend that you turn on text logging for your lock and examine the output that it produces. In my example screen shot you can see the text that my lock produced just prior to taking the screenshot. So in short, you are simply performing text based SQL type searches in your conditional statement (s) to find the cases that you want your rule to utilize to perform an action.

1 Like

Here is an example of the text produced by my lock when a keypad code is entered. I didn't use the log in this case since my rule sends me notifications.

You can see that the water to my house was turned off when I locked the door. This is useful because I only want the water to turn off if we actually leave the house as opposed to simply locking the door from the inside. Note, in my case I have set my lock to require a code for locking from the outside. This ensures that I can not only track the code used to open the lock but also the one used to lock the house.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.