Kwikset 910 Door Lock

All,

Before I run out and buy a new lock, I thought I'd ask the question here first.

I'm an ISY990 convert, loving this platform, and have now re-created most of my automation.

The one that I am struggling with is setting a scene when I lock my back door. In the past I was able to action on "Door Locks", "Door Locks via code", or "Door Locks via Lock Button". I used to set my Away scene based on the "Door Look via Lock Button". Sadly I can not find that with in the Hubitat environment.

Is this functionality that does not exist?

For information, the lock is a Kwikset 910.

Thanks in advance.

Even though the link I am attaching is about a Yale lock, I think you might find it useful because it addresses a similar use case:

1 Like

Thanks.

The only triggers events I have are : locked, unlocked, changed. Not sure how to expose this as an attribute, but I will investigate.

Under trigger for a door lock you should have lock and lock codes. After the trigger if you look at the %device% and %value% variables you should be able to determine how the door was locked.

1 Like

Thanks,

I'm not sure Lock Code is what I'm looking for. I have a lock button, and that's what I want to trigger off. With the Lock Code action, all I see is Any Lock Code, and then a list of all the individual lock codes. There is no "Lock Button" in the list. I will try Any Lock Code and see of the Lock button is included in that.

Hi @DarylHogg

You should create the same rule as @sarah-norbert did in the example that I linked to - here's the rule itself.

1. Use the lock being "locked" as a trigger.
  2. Then set a variable to the value of the description text for the lock event
  3. Then evaluate the content of the variable as a condition. And if it has "button" within it, proceed with the desired actions.

P.S. The variable name that @sarah-norbert chose was "Lock Text", but can call it anything you want.

1 Like

Thanks - Ideally I don't want to have to put in a code to lock the door, especially when there is a lock door button.

I'm getting the impression that this functionality is not present in Hubitat. We may have to revert back to telling Alexa to "Turn on Away" as we leave the house. Not ideal and hopefully the software will mature to allow different lock methods to be surfaced up to the UI.

I have a Kwikset 910 and the way I know if someone pressed the lock button is via the last event. I have a rule in Rule Machine (RM) publish this event to a variable and then use that variable in rules.

When you lock or unlock the lock, the last event status will be something along the lines of manually locked|unlocked the lock. For example my front door event variable right now has "Front Door Lock was locked manually [physical]". Meaning I locked it from the inside via the knob. Had I pressed the lock button, the [physical] would read [digital]. At least I think it does. The event trigger is different if HE triggered/commanded the lock to lock too. And when someone unlocks the door, it says "Front Door Lock was unlocked by "

I can use these within rules now when the variable contains "XXXX". For example, my cabin. I have a calendar entry for when I know visitors will be there. The entry will go away X number of hours before they depart. When the calendar entry is gone, and the Lock button is pressed, run a bunch of commands. One of them being to set my HE mode from "Occupied" to "Unoccupied".

Happy to help more or share some screenshots if needed.

1 Like

That’s an incorrect impression. The rule I posted above does exactly what you want. And doesn’t need a lock code to be used as a trigger.

And from their post, @3rdStng uses a very similar approach.

In my case the text reads "Garage Lock was locked via keypad [physical]"

1 Like

You are correct. I was going off memory, which is not always such a good idea. "Front Door Lock was locked via keypad [physical]". That is my variable value at the moment.

I use another contains string of "is jammed" to alert me when the lock failed for some reason or another. I/E someone didn't close the door all the way, but far enough for the door sensor to think it was closed to trigger an auto lock.

2 Likes

I want to thank everyone, especially @aaiyar, for the assistance. Eventually I managed to work out the variables, and how they work in Hubitat.

Again, thanks!!!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.