Yale Assure 2 lock with z-wave module

I was so excited to get my new Yale Assure 2 lock with the z-wave module......until I discovered that it only supports S0 security. That was not made very clear at all on the Yale website. Yale says that a US version of the module that supports S2 is available, but I cannot find one except on ebay.

Depends which module it came with. The green ones (part AYR202-ZWV-USA) only do S0. The black ones (part AYR-MOD-ZW3) support S2 and are zwave 700.

So unless the model # ended in ZW3, it only does S0.

Making it even more fun, if ordering off Amazon, a lot of times the listings don't show the actual product number - so you can't tell which one you will get before it shows up.

You can buy just the ZW3 module off eBay though. They run $50-$80 depending on who/when you get it.

All that said.... While S0 isn't great (3x the messaging and all), as few messages as a lock sends it probably isn't really that big of a deal on most meshes.

2 Likes

Could it become a big deal if you were operating 30 S0 modules? Thanks

Yes. 30 is a lot.

Now, if they were all devices that reported infrequently, it might be ok. But for an average mix of devices, 30 S0 devices is a heck of lot.

1 Like

Thanks. Totally new to this and have 30 Yale door locks using the S0 security. This has been quite a headache. I have yet to see one of them try to use a repeater (jasco outlet) with S2 or no security. I adopted the doors that the previous manager tried to get working on a smart things and gave up. Uff.

It looks like I will be spending another $80 to get the ZW3 module. :disappointed:

However, I found this on another forum.

1 Like

Right on! That's only 2400usd for me! :slight_smile: Let me know if you can get a hold of a zw3 module. Thanks.

Anyone having problems related to not always getting lock/unlock commands in the hub? First week it was flawless. Now sometimes I don't get these commands (using ZW2 that came with the lock). I tried to remove the batteries but I still get the issue. Lock is 2 meters away from the hub.

mine worked flawlessly for like 10 months, then stopped responding and stayed in the locked state even though you manually unlocked it. I had to remove it from HE and basically re-add it as if new device. Worked again for 4 months and just now has done it again.

I can't find the exclusion/inclusion instructions anywhere for it. Are you just factory resetting the whole lock?

This is sort of a bummer. I got a good deal on an Assure SL, very limited info on the security for it. Guess I figured it would support S2 since pretty much everything does now. Came with the green ZW2 module. Looks like the ZW3 is hard to find now, probably cannot get 700 chips and they are too lazy to upgrade to 800. Don't really want to pay another $80 for something that should just come with it. Quality and finish is very nice though so may just live with the S0.

Also grabbed an Alfred DB1 on sale. Guess I will try them both out, may be sending one back.

Mine only pairs with S0. But it doesn't matter because I have a C5. It works perfectly well in S0 - no complaints here.

Yeah it’s working great so far even if you do a full code refresh which consists of 250 commands and replies to check every code.

Just put the new handle on to go with it. Schlage Greenwhich with Merano lever on inside. Had a polished brass hideous thing before this.

Why are they not selling the ZW3 module "normally"? That is, why do you have to buy it from some third-party on Ebay?

1 Like

This was my guess :point_up_2:

The 700 z-wave chips quickly became hard to get. Possibly they have a large stock of the ZW2 modules still, and they don't feel like going through another upgrade right now, changing the ZW3 to 800 series.

The ZW3 modules on eBay are probably from contractor pulls. They bought some sort kit that came with the z-wave modules for cheap, but install it without them, and keep for profit.