Xiaomi & Aqara Devices - Pairing & Keeping them connected

Since the latest firmware update my Xiaomi devices and my non Xiaomi devices have all stayed paired for about 3 days now without issues. Fingers crossed they stay on without me needing to get repeaters that support Xiaomi devices. I did however have to pair my Peq plugs to ac as repeaters for the non Xiaomi devices once I connected all the Xiaomi devices directly to the hub first then paired the rest.

I have some Xiaomi Aqara Temp/Humidity sensors that I have not paired yet and will attempt to do so by unplugging all the repeaters first. I’m hesitant because I read somewhere that they seem to corrupt the zigbee network when they get added, is that even possible? Anyone else having issues with the Xiaomi Aqara Temp sensors?

I have 4 Aqara Temp/Humidity sensors, and did not notice any problems with my Zigbee network when they were paired.

I'm still running my Xiaomi round buttons on their original pairing from Feb. 26th; they've even survived an outage that took the hub offline for 3 hours last month. At risk of jinxing all of this I'll say they are the most reliable button device I own-- the only one which always registers on the first press (unlike my Aeon minimotes paired to Hubitat which need a wakeup push if they haven't been used for a while).

Edit: So I did indeed jinx it. Later in the evening, all Zigbee devices stopped functioning and Zigbee settings page showed OFFLINE; Z-Wave continued functioning normally. Rebooting the hub restored Zigbee operation; sadly one of my Xiaomi buttons apparently did not survive and needs to be re-joined. That's what I get for bragging..

1 Like

Which exact xbee model did you get and how are you planning to power and mount them in their location once you have it setup as a repeater/router?

I'm looking at this kit since it comes with 3 xbee s2c modules and usb boards...
https://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Digi-International/XKB2-Z7T-WZM?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuqBwn8WqcFUgkNZxLZbZjBaKdNxAnnaZ6sH4XvaA2bGw%3D%3D

The one I've been using and have ordered two more of is labelled as XBee S2, but the full model is XB24-Z7WIT-004. Here’s how to break down the full model designation:

Series 1 (802.15.4) or Series 2 (ZigBee) XBees
XB24- = non-Pro version
XBP24- = Pro version (higher transmission power)

Shipped Firmware type
A : 802.15.4 (for series 1)
DM : Digimesh (for series 1)
B + something other than Z7 : ZNet2.5 (obsolete firmware for series 2)
Z7 : Zigbee (for series 2)
BZ7 : Zigbee (series 2B module)
CZ7 : Zigbee (series 2C module)
DZ7 : Zigbee, thread-ready (series 2D module)

Type of Antenna
CI : on board ceramic chip
PI : PCB (trace)
RI : RF pad
SI : RPSMA connector
UI : U.FL connector
WI : wire whip

PCB Type
T : Thru-hole
S : Surface Mount (SMT)

-001: series 1 module
B003: series 2 programmable module
-004: series 2 module

Note: The above breakdown doesn't include the new XBee 3.

Since you're looking at a 3-pack kit, it's unclear which antenna type it is but the photo tells me they probably have the U.FL antenna. Otherwise, they are the series 2C programmable type of module. Besides that the main difference from the model I got is that the transmit power is stronger (3.1 mW for the S2C, which will probably be a good thing for you! Anyhow, this means the included model is likely the XB24-CZ7UIT-004.

Whether the module is programmable or not is not a big concern unless you are planning on adding some kind of device to give the XBee module a function beyond being Zigbee repeater. The programmable modules allow a compact system to run directly on the module itself instead of needing to connect the module to a Raspberry Pi, etc., to turn the module into, for example, a temperature sensor.

Be warned that on DIGI's website, the XKB2-Z7T-WZM kit information shows it contains two TH (through-hole) modules and one SMT (Surface Mount) module. They should work the same, however.

Getting 3 programmable modules with DIGI branded USB host boards and the USB cables for $89 is a great deal though. I got my first S2 new on eBay for $16 and a 3rd party (Waveshare) USB host board for $14, which of course would scale out to $90 for three sets. But I never would have spent $90 up front without first testing one XBee to make sure it would work. Careful spending and strict budgeting are reasons why I am able to be a homeowner in the first place. But that's just my situation. :slightly_smiling_face:

As for powering and mounting the units, they require a USB power source, so I plan to "hide" them discretely in spots where I have power strips with USB ports. I may put them into a DIY case (there's a laser cutter at my work), and then mount them under furniture or something like that. I'm not too worried about it because they're so small - and I'm divorced so there's no WAF for me!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

When I get my other two XBee modules, if people are interested, I can post instructions with screenshots showing how to connect and configure them, and use one to map your mesh.

1 Like

I think it is this one XB24CZ7PIT-004 - XBee Zigbee Through-Hole (PCB Antenna) | Digi International it says PCB antenna type. Does this mean an antenna needs to be soldered on to the PCB board or is the PCB board the antenna itself?

If it's a PCB Antenna model, then the antenna is built into the PCB (as a trace). I have no idea if a larger antenna can be optionally soldered on to this model.

which usb port driver are you using for your waveshare USB adapter?
Mine finally showed up today but it is being a pain with Windows 10 pro 64 bit

I am running XCTU on a Mac, and I didn't need to install a USB-to-serial driver. I suspect a Silicon Labs driver I installed to mess around with a ZigBee Radio USB stick might be making it work. Not sure.

However, the Waveshare XBee USB Adapter uses the CP2102 USB to UART module, which is in fact made by SiLabs so you should be able to use their driver, or the one supplied by Waveshare here.

Honestly, I'd trust the SiLabs driver more because the one from Waveshare is 3 years old!

thanks
I did use SiLabs driver but I had to go in and manually select the driver I needed to use it.
It would not automatically install the driver correctly.

Just paired my second Aqara button, and this one put up a fight. I was able to pair with a button press and hold for 10 seconds when I received my first button, but this time I had to use the pair button (larger of the two pinholes). I didn't come easy, but after several tries pressing and holding the pair button on the bottom for at least 5 seconds, it finally relented and finished initializing.

One common thing I have done with all these devices is to remove the battery for 10 seconds and then put it back in and try immediately after. I learned this from Ikea Trådfri products and similar methods seem to work with Xiaomi devices too.

for anyone looking at using an xbee device:

• make sure they have a zb for xbee or a z for xbee3 in their model number.
    Even though the product description says "Zigbee / 802.15.4" ones without the zb or z I believe do not work with zigbee from what I have read and I could not get my xbee pro S1 to work.
    You need the zb or z types.
    Now waiting for my xbee3 # XB3-24Z8ST and # 888-XB3-24Z8PT to arrive.

• on the Waveshare usb adapter
    DTR, RTS, and CTS are not connected to the usb serial interface chip. This is indicated in the schematic. There are empty pads where you can solder a small piece of wire to make these connections. This is needed if using 115200 Baud.
    I also had issues writing firmware until I added a jumper but this could be because I was trying to use a xbee pro S1 (which doesn't work with zigbee)

How have folks be fairing so far with the Xiaomi sensors? Reading through this makes me not want to continue getting more Aqara devices. I had issues pairing one, but killing my ST hub solved it (it's back on since I haven't fully moved). I've got a few ST outlets that I haven't moved over, too. These sound like they might cause issues.

Only had an issue pairing the second of two Aqara buttons, but that aside, they are well made and solid performers. None of my Aqara leak sensors or buttons have dropped off the zigbee network after initial pairing. I'm very pleased with them.

Once you ensure you are on the best zigbee channel and clean up any excess 2.4 gig wifi interference (this applies for any zigbee devices and just good housekeeping)
Xiaomi sensors do not have a very strong signal so routers maybe necessary to extend their range and keep them online.

I added 2 xbee3 devices to trace the connections and act as routers.
They have been rock solid for the last 21 days repeating the Xiaomi sensors no problem.
You must disable any problem routers before pairing any Xiaomi sensors. Such as the GE ZigBee Switch 45856GE, and I would not trust the iris or smartThing plugs as Xiaomi routers.

I have had a little success with the iris or smartThing plugs and the Xiaomi sensors but a few drop off as well. I have not figured out what caused some Xiaomi sensors to fall off and others to stay. Thus they are not reliable as Xiaomi routers.

Orvibo outlets have been fine but do not appear to have anywhere near the range they claim and they still have not updated their website to officially claim they have UL certification (except for an email to me) so I would not recommend them as well.

SYLVANIA plug 72922 (not the A version) have worked fine as well but they were a pain to initially pair and get working. Also when scanning with my Xbee3 it sees the SYLVANIA plug as a router right away the same as all the other routers but takes awhile to see the end devices that are routing through it for some reason. The end devices have never had an issue in operation or dropped off but it is odd.
Watching as I scanned it with the Xbee3 it almost appears as if it is not repeating the end device signal for up to 10-15 minutes sometimes but when I check the devices they are reporting fine. Very odd
I would also strongly recommend you plug these into a backup power supply to protect from power outages corrupting the device and causing it to fail. Just unplugging it and moving it around afew times caused the device to stop working and I had to remove and re-pair it back to the hub.

Overall the Xbee3 have been the best and great for seeing your network. Surprised they are not sold with the Hubitat as an addon option.
One odd thing I noticed is that when pairing a device even though my Xbee3 have very high antenna power (should over power everything) devices often will still pair through the Iris or SmartThings plug (testing everything in the same room). I have not figured out why devices prefer to to choose these first.

Conclusion for a little bit I was concerned the Xiaomi sensors were not going to be reliable enough but once I had the best channel and routed them the best way they have been solid. It is like decorating your house do you just buy a bunch of crap and throw it in the corner or do you plan out and place it properly.

3 Likes

Hrm, even if I unplug my ST plugs and successfully pair, would plugging them back in risk the Xiamoi sensors wanting to connect to them in the future?

Xbee3... looks like a DIY build-a-device? Frankly, I was trying to avoid going that far into things :frowning:

Only if your Hubitat was not on a battery backup and you lost power for more than 15 minutes it might try and rebuild the zigbee network (I have not tested that) or sometimes if the router device they have been paired through fails but I have only seen a few Xiaomi sensors do the automatic re-pairing mostly they just stay off line.

Xbee3 you do not have to really build anything except maybe a case for it. going to far? is there such a thing? down the rabbit hole as they say!

hrm, that isnt' too bad. A quick google search looked like I'm buying a chip I have so solder into something (and in turn, setup somehow, heh).

But power loss would be a legit concern. I don't want to have to worry about stuff failing if that does happen :frowning: Ugh... early days fun.

No soldering unless you want to make a really small footprint or customize it but not required.

Most electronics in my house are on battery backups to protect from power failures and brownouts to protect them from electrical damage.

To be clear the Xbee3 will need a xbee usb programmer as well to program and power it or after programming it you could take it off the programmer and power it separately with some soldering but the usb xbee programmers are cheap and powering separately is not worth the effort.