Zigbee network went offline

Running .710. Haven’t changed anything in a couple of weeks aside from firmware updates. Earlier this evening I noticed that all Zigbee devices had stopped responding to commands; nothing appeared in Zigbee logging in response to any attempt to control a Zigbee device. Z-Wave devices continued to function normally.

I checked the Zigbee settings page and it showed ‘Zigbee Network State: OFFLINE’.
I hit the ‘update’ button on the page (below Zigbee Status - Enabled) and the Zigbee network state then showed ‘UNINITIALIZED’; also at this point the Zigbee channel setting now showed ‘11’ rather than 18 which it had been using since February. I tried setting the channel back to ‘18’, but after responding to the confirmation prompt, it again reverted to ‘11’.

At this point I rebooted the hub. Thankfully normal Zigbee operation was restored (including the channel setting, which resumed using 18 as before).

Really would like to have a way to initiate a reboot from a mobile app. It would make me feel a little less apprehensive about leaving town with Hubitat controlling the security lighting.

Buy a wifi plug like the tp-link or other brand with a mobile app.

Hmm; I guess that’s another justification for keeping my SmartThings hub going. If I can shoehorn another Iris plug in the vicinity of my Hubitat, problem solved. Could even have an ST app do a periodic ‘shoulder tap’ health check and initiate the reboot automatically, if need be. However it’s not the same as a shutdown reboot initiated from the Hubitat environment; hate to run the risk of corrupting the database by just yanking the power.

Oh no! And just the other day you said:

In all seriousness, though...

Indeed, cutting power a Linux server should be a last resort. So yes, there really should be a way to request a reboot remotely.

1 Like

If you're tech-savvy, you can pretty easily set up an OpenVPN server on many modern routers. This will then allow your phone to connect to the home network, which in turn allows you to bring up the Hub's Settings Page to reboot the hub remotely.

2 Likes

Yes, incredibly within hours of saying that my Zigbee went down... and one of my Xiaomi's needs to be re-joined! :neutral_face:

I've just ran into the same issue. My zigbee devices stopped working and when I checked the hub it's now showing zigbee offline. Rebooting the hub now.

Been getting this zigbee network offline message and the HUB is EXTREMELY slow to the point of unresponsive. Power cycled a few times already and keep getting this.

You guys ever figured this out?

Might be a single device causing the issue. Any Zigbee bulbs on your network that are not Sengled? They're (non-Sengled bulbs that is) common culprits for screwing up routing.

only have two sengled bulbs... Seems like if I access the hub too soon after a reboot I would run into this issue.

When the hub is stressed out, the first thing to go is the zigbee radio. The first step in identifying the problem is to uninstall any third party apps, sorry for the bad news.
Start with web core.

no webcore installed...

Any errors in your logs? I run Homebridge, and it was throwing errors after a reboot. I didn't see the errors in HE logs, but found "no call to API" in Homebridge. Once I restarted it, things went back to normal. That's not unusual for that. I find that the stuff I'm calling over IP that isn't built-in to HE is quite often the culprit.

No error that I can see now that the HUB seems to be working normally again. I really don't know what caused it other than a bunches of power cycle so far. Maybe I accessed the HUB too soon after the power cycled. Looking at past logs, I don't see any errors. I've seen this same issue once before and also a few power cycled later the HUB is responsive again. I hoping support can take a look at the internal logging to see what could have caused this.