Everything Xbee

Thanks for letting me know. My Xbee still hasn't arrived! Unbelievable. Everything I've order from China, both at the same time and after I order an Xbee from Digikey, has already arrived. Going to have to call them again tomorrow and find out what's going on now.

I am going to start connecting my Xiaomi sensors to Hubitat. Could someone tell me which Xbee shall I buy and from where.
P.S - The store should be able to post to Australia as this is where I live.

They have the PCB antenna version in stock and it works fine.
no external antenna needed.
remember you still need the usb dev board as well to mount it to. Chinese one from ebay is cheap but shipping may take months.
digikey usb boards are in stock and ship fast but are alot more expensive.

Can you suggest an alternate for the XBee module? I just cancelled my order with DigiKey. Was trying to get this Zigbee 3.0 module XB3-24Z8ST-J, but DigiKey said a month ago the manufacturer had a labelling issue, but it was resolved and shipping would resume. Then the last time I asked they said the issue wasn't resolved and there was not shipment date. They're still saying that, so I'm done waiting on that board. Could have ordered from China and had it a month ago. I know one of the Zigbee 2.0 modules would work, but is there a different Zigbee 3.0 module you've found? At this stage, I might as well order from China.

I purchased an XBee module from Symmetry Electronics (Digi) Their website is:

https://www.semiconductorstore.com

They are an authorized Digi dealer. I received mine in about a week.

John

1 Like

the XB3-24Z8PT (not -J) is in stock at Digikey
the XB2 (zigbee version) XB24-Z7WIT-004 will also work and are cheaper but I see are out of stock

1 Like

I see they do have some other older Xbee 2 zigbee units in stock that should work (I have not tried them) looking at their specs.
If you want to save some money and didn't want high powered pro units which maybe technically illegal in Australia.
But I would still recommend the Xbee3 over these.

XB24CZ7WITB003
or
XB24CZ7WIT-004
or
XB24CZ7UIT-004
or
XB24CZ7SIT-004 (needs an antenna)

1 Like

LOL. I'm in Canada, so don't really care what's illegal in Australia :wink:
Thanks for the list. I'm going to try again with an XBee3 order from Mouser an see if I can get one. I don't need the pro, but will just pay the $15 extra if that what it takes. I can order as a business user and they pay any duty.

sorry was referring to @Smartsmartsmart about Australia.

Digikey does have the Xbee3 XB3-24Z8PT in stock which I do also use and they work fine.

Haha, he out smarted me again! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hi,

sorry if this is a stupid question - never had anything to do with embedded electronics.

I'm just looking for a repeater so my Xiaomi sensors/buttons will work reliably with Hubitat.

My flat is not too large, so an XBee3 Non-Pro will be more than enough to cover it.

What's on my list right now:

What I don't quite understand: I think I'll need a piece of hardware to program the XBee - correct? So I'm gonna need the Xbee usb THT vs SMT programmer 12?

Thanks a loot for any hints :slight_smile:

Edit: Sorry, I read the first post like 3 times, but still overlooked the relevant piece of information.

another cheap Xbee adapter option that works from Ebay ...

So this 3 USD/5 € (from Amazon.de) board will replace the 602-1979-ND 14

from Ebay
will work fine as a programmer no need for another adapter.
You just need to hook it to a computer to program the initial settings then you can move anywhere you want with a usb power plug and it will work as a repeater
or leave it hooked to your computer to scan your zigbee network.

Thanks, I got that the second you replied :wink:

Wow ... DigiKey's shipping fees for Europe are really expensive - $22.00 USD.

Anybody from Europe who would like to order together? Shipping from Germany to other EU countries is 6,20 € (letter with tracking ID).

:blush:

So what's the difference between the standard one the pro?

https://www.digikey.com.au/products/en?keywords=XB3-24Z8PT

Any link to the instructions on how to setup these?

power output the pro has a longer range but I believe exceeds the legal allowed output in Australia.
they are within limits here in Canada but even if they were not here as long as you are not interfering with an airport transmissions no one is looking for high powered transmissions.
I am sure the standard one would be fine for home use though (if it was in stock).

Where can I go for a setup guide?

manual links are in the first post
basically plug Xbee (with usb adaptor) into your computer start XCTU program and connect to your Xbee Then program the router settings with the XCTU program.
The put the Hubitat hub in pairing mode and add your Xbee device it should show up as a device select save change it's name if you like.
After it is joined to the Hubitat and still connected to your computer go into XCTU and scan devices.

1 Like

Thanks. I will order one and try.