Write to share

Anyone consider an app that could write temperature data, etc to a share drive. Does habitat and groovy even support that ability?

I agree, Or perhaps a Thumb drive in the other USB connector?

John

Not exactly what you're asking for, but there were a couple of SmartApps written for ST that I caught my eye when I was thinking of doing something similar. I never actually tried them. One is krlaframboise's Simple Event Logger: [RELEASE] Simple Event Logger - Community Created SmartApps - SmartThings Community. There are also a few forks of a GoogleDocsLogging SmartApp but I'm having problems finding a current, maintained version in that forum thread. As at least the latter's name suggests, they won't write to a text file on a LAN share or anything, but they can write to a Google Doc that you can then use however you want. I also have no idea if anyone has tried porting them to Hubitat, nor am I sure about the difficulty of getting them to work if not.

I was actually never even tempted to do this until I saw that Home Assistant (which I tried between deciding to move away from SmartThings during the Great Daylight-Saving Time Incident of Late 2017 and my decision to buy Hubitat as soon as I found out about it later that winter/spring--an unfortunate gap but one that did allow me to experiment with quite a few, IMHO lesser, alternatives) could graph recent history of most sensors and that it was nice to see an easy history of temperature, motion, open/close, and other sensors. Obviously ST and Hubitat both let you see device history, but it's tabular, not graphed, and not nearly as convenient.

Anyway, I guess my point in bringing Home Assistant up is that it could be a third alternative. But would be a lot of work since there's no native integration: you'd need to install a ported MQTT app on Hubitat, set up an MQTT broker, and run a Hubitat/ST-MQTT bridge node.js app to run in the middle of this all--and, unless you can get automatic discovery to work better than me--set up all these devices as MQTT entities/devices in Home Assistant. It also won't log to a text file but will be logged into the Home Assistant database, which you can set up in a few different ways or use their built-in/default option, and provides easy viewing from the web UI. It's also a full-fledged HA system, a Hubitat competitor of sorts (though much harder to set up and not as widely compatible with most devices I tried to use), so it's overkill just for logging...but even after switching to Hubitat, I kept Home Assistant running just because I liked this feature so much. :slight_smile:

Have you looked at influxdb with grafana for the visuals? I have both these running as dockers and graph temperatures, generate gauges for battery levels, show thermostat setpoints and much more.

influxdb would not be something I would personally consider, due only the fact that its on the web. But that's only me.

you can run your own server at home with influxdb on it.

1 Like

Check this out: SmartThings Data Visualisation using InfluxDB and Grafana – codersaur.com

I'm going to try on my Hubitat when I get some spare time.

1 Like

I have this working with hubitat.

I mentioned grafana visualization embedded in the dashboard. Maybe be more mentions would push it up the dev list.

Marginally related: the lasted patched webCoRE for Hubitat includes support for fuel streams, which can be used to graph data if that was your intent (it really was for mine, so if I get this working it will probably be good enough for me). Eventually they plan to support it on the "public" webCoRE server, but for now you'll need to host your own webCoRE Dashboard locally (also explained in the above thread--I resisted until this and can't believe how much faster the editor loads, by the way).

Just a thought if graphing was really your intent!

1 Like

Is the ported InfluxDB code for Hubitat shared in another thread? If not, could you please start a new thread and share the ported code and any instructions on how to use it, please? Thanks!

I can when I get home but it is posted elsewhere here. You’ll notice in that thread I asked if the code was working. It was, my issue was with a misconfigured DB.

1 Like

Is this the working version?

It would be nice to have a dedicated thread to discuss the InfluxDB and Grafana versus having it sprinkled throughout other threads (unless I am just missing it! :wink: )

If I get InfluxDB running, I may create a dedicated thread for it, along with some rookie instructions. I just don't want to step on anyone's toes who has done the real work porting it.

1 Like

Just throwing this out there. Looking at a project like InfluxDB is really interesting, but in terms of logging temperature data, both internally and externally, consider the fact that Weewx already does this and you can archive it. You can even act on the data with @Cobra 's very cool Weather Switch. I get the idea of using the indoor temperature sensors we already have in our motion sensors, thermostat, remote sensors, etc., but is the fluctuations between rooms inside our homes different enough, or the accuracy between these temperature sensors accurate enough to make that even viable?

Just food for thought. InfluxDB looks cool and it's a worthy idea to move it over the HE, but those of us that are not already weather geeks, but want to track environment variable might find that they really could enjoy getting the equipment, which typically includes or cost very little extra to get indoor sensors to chart those parameters.

I am not a developer or coder, but would be interested in something like Simple Event Logger if anyone ports it over. Would like some visuals, but the quick look I had at influxdb was beyond my knowledge. Following here in case there is any progress.

There's a tool I've added, used, deleted, added, used, deleted :slight_smile: called Activity Viewer and it does the task simply.. maybe too simply.

Activity Viewer

I really liked the Timeline, but this yet another app that gets kicked off anytime I feel a slowdown. So far, not to blame, but it's not something I use every minute, so it's easy to delete when suspicions run rampant.

Thanks, I'll check it out.