Worth a move from ST?

I relize ill get baiz here but here is the issue

(all android/google home)

I have ~30 devices in ST or so.
I have ~10-15 devices in google home
I have some devices in Smart life (conected to google)
I have some devices in magic home (connect to google)
do any of the royboy stuff work here?

google can control everything but it sucks for setting up automations and ST cannot see all the stuff in google.

does this change with Hubitat ?

I have also notices using a device handler in ST makes it a Cloud app and with our crappy internet sometimes thing dont work or will take a LONG time to work

Challenges,
our house wiring doesn't give N wire unless its a 3way switch then i USUALLY have a N wire.
Would like to possibly just use smart bulbs in the fixtures since i have no N wires (power goes panel to light)
battery on motions and locks Die A LOT and its anoying somtimes thing will a while before i replace the batteries ugh
I have zero coding skills I can copy and paste and tweak basic stuff but i cannot write my own stuff

Current list of devices :
Ge Dimmer and switches (older z-wave "1") bunch of these
Ecolink Motion Sensor (1) zwave-plus
Harmony hub - main TV
Iris Smart Plug (1)
Life 360 (should work with this)
SmartSense Moisture Sensor (batteris suck but they zigbee in zwave network lol)
Z-Wave Garage Door Opener (iris)
10 z-wave lock (kwi and schl)
Zooz 4-in-1 Sensor
mix of motion sensor trying to find balance of fast but long battery life, (ge, smart things zooz and eco)

And the stuff above thats connect to google. (would like to connect at least our bubls to HE for local stuff)

Latly i feel like all i do is replace batterys and trouble shoot a device that stopped working.

You’ll find a lot of folks here that were on ST at one point, so there will generally be someone with an answer to your questions. The short version HE is designed for Z-Wave (preferably Z-Wave Plus) and Zigbee; there are integrations for other hubs and some WiFi devices. Google Home has an integration - the general concept involves the use of virtual devices to stand in the place of the GH devices and some automations to keep them in sync.

There are switches and dimmers that don’t need a neutral (Inovelli is one of my favorites). Short battery life may be the result of a weak mesh, or too high a frequency of polling.

There are a lot of built-in and community supported apps to do most of what is needed, and Rule Machine, webCore, and Event Engine to fill the gap.

2 Likes

thank you for the info, I havn't messed with webcore yet on ST just need more motion and light to make it worth it but with the kiddos running around now i find myself wanting more.

is there an pro monitoring for security that can be connected?

I haven’t used any services, but I’m sure that someone will chime in with some options for you.

what other switches are nutral less? i know AEO but man they are a pain and honestly i could never get the switches working (just the control working)

My favorite are the Inovelli ones:

Others here will chime in shortly with alternatives.

I came from SmartThings. No regrets, the platform along with community drivers has meant that I have been able to automate a lot more of my home than I was able to with SmartThings. RM (Like automations) does take getting used to but once you have an understanding it is an extremely powerful automation tool.

3 Likes

I also migrated 70+ devices from ST to HE and it is SO MUCH BETTER, faster local processing of lights and motion sensors, and MUCH MUCH more flexible than ST in so many other ways. I am a long time ST developer and the HE platform offers so much more connectivity and user developed apps. I am porting all my ST apps to HE and removing my user developed ST apps 1Q21.

I highly recommend the immediate migration from ST as Samsung is/will eventually kill ST except for very basic use.

1 Like

I migrated from ST 2+ years ago - have not looked back. The power of local processing cannot be overstated. IF HE were to change directions like Samsung is doing with ST it would not necessarily matter - I am not forced to follow if I do not want to. My system as is should last as long as the hw - it's more like an appliance or house subsystem (lighting/plumbing/ac) then a tech addon.

Also this community has done a lot of interesting things and is very responsive and helpful. To be fair ST's community has been great too..

I am still wary of Google and their products/services - In addition to the continuous massive collection and analysis of your personal data (you ARE the product) they also have a bad habit of just dropping support for things / killing products.

Note: I don't think that doing any of this is necessarily "wrong" or "evil" by Google - their stuff is handy and ubiquitous it's just not what I want to base my entire home system around.

3 Likes

I am also a convert from ST. You may also want to consider implementing Node-Red. What HE doesn't take in natively Node-Red seems to fill that gap well. I have NR handling my Harmony Hub and Smart Life stuff, all you need to do is create virtual devices in HE (which also supports NR quite nicely) and link them through NR. I'm using Alexa, but Google should be relatively the same. My setup has all three linked up so they can pass info/controls all around whichever way I need to solve a problem, this seems to solve all sorts of interface challenges.

4 Likes

I personally use Ring which is monitored at a low price and currently has a great unofficial integration with Hubitat. I believe other options are also available.

3 Likes

Ring is nice because you can scale it up as needed. Also you can decide if you want to use their devices on the HE or the Ring system (not on both sadly!).. nice to have that option.

I think there is a community app/driver for basic SimpliSafe integration - maybe arm/disarm etc. Do not have so cannot comment further on this.

Both Ring and Simplisafe seem like affordable alternatives to the traditional security systems that you pay a lot for (including monthly) and end up never using properly.

Is this what I need for google? To be honest I have 3 wifi lights that far as I can tell I'll have to use google. I will try to make everything possible local control, most of the one off stuff is in my kiddos room

You don't need Node-Red for the Google interface. @erktrek 's link is for the HE <-> Google interface. But there are some things you may not be able to integrate into HE directly which is where NR comes into play (I found that the Harmony interface for NR is exceptional and the HE one is still being developed/enhanced and is a bit limited at the moment). IMO it's a very clean, very powerful, and inexpensive way to bridge that gap and take some of the load off of the hub, too.

Another example is my Roomba interface; that does not interface to HE directly but it is available in NR. I can create virtual devices in HE to be able to view and control the unit.

1 Like

:point_up: ... this! I really like and use NR too. I use it as my rules controller to lighten the load on my hubs as well as other things that @wecoyote5 points out etc.

While I think it makes a great companion server to HE it's not for everyone and is not necessary to have a complete and functional home automation system.

(but it can help!) :wink:

No, not at the moment. There have been talks of their stuff being added to Hubitat, but apparently things didn't go well so I wouldn't get your hopes up on that.

To point out a few other downsides to Hubitat, first of all it isn't as easy to set up as SmartThings. It is much more powerful than ST IMHO, but takes a little more work to get things going.

Some devices that work on SmartThings might not work or work as well on Hubitat. I've had a lot more issues with Z-Wave on Hubitat than I ever did on ST. Most of those issues have been from secure pairing, especially S0 pairing. For best results, you should pair your non-lock/garage door Z-Wave devices without security. Unfortunately, your Zooz 4-in-1 doesn't have an option for insecure inclusion, so it will default to S0, making it somewhat unreliable on Hubitat. This also caused the battery in mine to drain in less than 2 months. It is possible to get it to pair without S0 by using a secondary controller. There are more threads that talk about this.

All this being said, Hubitat has been great for me. It has been far more reliable and much faster than ST. If you decide to switch, to help with transitioning, I would recommend HubConnect to keep Hubitat and SmartThings in sync. If you have any issues getting things set up or just have any questions, the community here is very friendly and helpful.

Just remember this is not a "HE" issue per say it's a Z-wave plus 700 series issue/ requirement. The work around is as you said to use a another z-wave stick as a secondary controller joined unsucurly (as long as it supports S2) then join the device though that. By doing this your not restricted by the 700 series "requirement" . That's not to say it's not a pain because it is!

To me it seems like that silicon labs have basically created a brand new protocol but given it the same name. Then bolted on some "old" z-wave plus stuff to say it's backwards compatible, but it's definitely not, especially for z-wave devices.

4 Likes

I don't think you need an S2 compatible stick for this - anything that can pair as a secondary controller should be good. You can only pair with "no security" or "S0" anyway - S2 will not transfer apparently.

I've only used S2 capable sticks so could be wrong about that.

alot of my first devices are just "zwave" before "zwave + " came out. will these not work?