Worth a move from ST?

Z-wave will work but you may have to poll some devices to get them to report reliably.

All all of my z-wave device (non plus) have some issues. They are both Fibaro, it's a case of it depends on the manufacturers implementation of the standard.

most of mine are GE switches/dimmer that replace switches. i have a couple repeaters but i plan to upgrade those anyway

Convert from ST here. Sorry, don't have experience with some of the devices you mention, the majority of mine are zigbee or (oddly) WiFi.

Just want to say that wherever bumps you may encounter due to incompatible devices will be worth it. ST for me finally became an utterly failed platform after months of detriment, and a final straw-that-broke-the-camel's-back screwup this summer.

Moved then. The difference is obscene.

1 Like

I moved from ST last April. I have quite a few GE zwave non-plus switches and dimmers and they do not require polling. They send their status to the hub. My switches are probably 2015, maybe 2016 vintage.

Thank you I think I stared getting mine around the same time

I thought I was going to have issues with these switches put they report their status just as well as my plus switches. It appears there was a window where some non plus zwave switches (at least GE/Jasco) were produced with status updating after the patent on reporting expired.

You will just have to join the switches and see if they report.

Yeah, you will have issues with non plus switches even with polling.
I replaced all my z-wave switches we the Lutron Caseta. They are expensive but well worth it in the long run IMO.
Best bet is to replace them with Inovelli or Zooz if you still want Z-wave plus.
Not much selection with Zigbee but Sinope and Jasco do make them. I have 2 Jasco Zigbee dimmers and because I want to keep my 3 ways Aux switches.

most of my house is GE so that would be cost prohibitive if i have to replace them all :frowning: my new purchases will be Inovelli

Don't overlook the fact that Hubitat handles Zigbee devices very well. Hubitat has device drivers for many types of Zigbee devices. Furthermore, it's well know that the Zigbee sensors tend to react faster, and cost less than zwave equivalents.
Please note: If you don't have any interference from wifi, Zigbee can be a charm.
If you do have an overlapping wifi band, be prepared to spend some time in tweaking.

does that include door sensors?

any recommened motion sensor?

I ask because i only have a couple old Iris sensor I got a few years ago and I though the "sucked" for battery.

I was newb and no know that sensors were zigbee and they were not close to the hub at all.

im in the contry and the only 2.4 i have is my WIFI

1. Door sensors: there are many reputable names to choose from (just make sure that they are Zigbee 3.0 compatible). Tuya, Sonoff, Iris, Visionic, EcoLink (I have the Zigbee version, and the Zwave+ version; the Zgbee version is much better) etc. I would tend to stay away from Aqara (Xiaomi) just in case you can't make them work. I also have the Iris 3320-L. Although old, they are great.
  2. Motion sensor: Tuya, Konke, NYCE (the best, but expensive),Heiman; (again, just make sure they are Zigbee compatible). I personally bought around 10 of the Iris 3326-L from ebay - they are great. Last forever, very hardy.

i have 10 of the ecolink zwave in my cart to put arount my house, the zigbee one or that much better that I would have the added cost of the reapters i would need to buy? im guessing i would 4-6 repeaters as everything i have right now is ZW

If you have the EcoLink Zwave Plus Contact Sensors - I wouldn't replace them. They are a great sensor, and in general you don't need instantaneous response for a contact sensor. (However, for the future, if you're buying, get zigbee).
However, for motion sensors, instant response is very much required.

An easy way to get zigbee repeating action going is to buy the Ikea Tradfri repeater. Very inexpensive, very good at repeating. (Doesn't look great. But 2 out of 3, isn't bad!)

with zigbee one?
Ecolink-Wireless-Window-Contact-4655BC0-R

im about to buy 10 of them to put on some doors

Wired is about a billion times cheaper. Look into konnected.

i would love to that but then i have to rewire the house. the house has a old 30 year old wired system but it is not reliable anymore sensor would randomly trip
on top of that it was just wired in annoying zones that are not really helpful for anything but intrusion detection

1 Like

That's the one... I got 3 for $17 on eBay... Amazon is more, but returns are easy...

how is the battery life, many complaints on amzon about batteries

So far, so good. It says "up to 4 years battery life".