Wiz bulb built-in integration

It must as the Lifx and Kasa integrations work perfectly. Interestingly, I just loaded the community Wiz Light driver and it worked immediately. SO, it must be the new native integration that is broken. Or I am doing something fundamentally wrong.

LIFX does use multicast. I don't think Kasa discovery does - but I could be wrong. But yeah, if LIFX works, Wiz should.

Coincidentally, I've just installed an eero mesh system at home, and found that Wiz discovery doesn't work on it, at all. There will be a fix in the next 2.3.3 update to address the issue.

3 Likes

Weird. Thanks. Iā€™m pretty technical and this one stumped me.

Allow local communication in the wiz app. That worked for me.

1 Like

Does anyone know or can figure out a way to send in RM or Button controller the option Set Warm White Led Level.

I came across a hack (bug) last night, when utilizing that attribute it allows us to get further dimmability than the standard "set level". Setting a normal level between 1-10 will always default to 10. That is the lowest level the bulbs will go down to without turning off or defaulting back to 10. If you set the regular level to 0 and then select this attribute and set it to "10" it dims the bulb even further than just setting the level to 1-10 and a color temperature. I'd like to utilize this attribute at night for night light mode. The same is true for Set Cold White Led Level.

I've attempted to utilize "set custom action" to push the level to the attribute and tried all 3 parameter types (integer, decimal, string) for the value, but it did not work.

In the native Wiz app, that option isn't even available and the bulb has a preset called Unknown with a green glow. Definitely a bug or hack as RL shows the level is set to 0 when capturing current status of the bulb. Either-way, I want to exploit it if it allows me to gain more control of tuning the Kelvin.

Has anyone come up with a way to use the Up and Down buttons on a Pico to brighten/dim a WiZ device? I've tried a few things (using Button Controller), but nothing has worked yet. I'd also like to use the Favorite button to cycle through colors and/or white temperatures (just need to figure out how to send nextScene) if that would be possible. Thanks...

I'm not seeing how to control scenes in any group of WIZ color bulbs. I had the community driver but removed that and went with the new internal WIZ Integration. It seems a proper WIZ group control is needed now.

Also we need a WIZ Dimmer or Control template that has the Scene drop down menu

My Wiz scenes appear to be working fine when setting all the bulbs to a particular scene.

There are a couple ways to work around the lack of explicit scene support: 1) custom commands (not supported much outside of Rule Machine and Button Controller) and 2) a combination of a virtual button device and a Button Controller app.

For #2, set up a virtual button device with as many buttons as scenes you want to control. Then set up a Button Controller app, In the BC app add an action and choose 'Set Variable, Mode or File, Run Custom Action', 'Run Custom Action', 'Dimmer', select the bulbs, and then use custom command setScene and enter the scene name as a string parameter. Do that for each button/scene you want to be able to trigger. Now you can use the buttons in many more apps to set the scene. Also, you may want to have a button that turns all the bulbs off.

3 Likes

Wow Thank you so much for taking time to explain that. I got the 1 st button to work and now can build it out and play with it.

1 Like

Well I got the run actions on the button to work but can not make a button work in my dashboard.

I don't use the Hubitat dashboards. Test the buttons out on the virtual button device. Here is my Button Controller setup - 3 Wiz scenes for 3 bulbs, 1 all off scene.

1 Like

Thanks @bill.d for your help, as I now have my Pico's Favorite button (#3) set to cycle through the various scenes. Now if anyone can suggest a way to use the Raise (#2) and Lower (#4) buttons to raise and lower the dim level. What I've done so far doesn't work. Perhaps the driver/device is missing the necessary functions? There is a setLevel, but no increaseLevel, for instance. I assume I can't do a "setLevel +10". Thanks...

Wifi devices often don't simply have the fad up or fade down controls. What you need to do is something like:

1. set a variable to current level
  2. Adjust variable by x the direction you want to go.
  3. Then submit the command to set the level to that value.

It will just require multiple steps to do, but Button Controller should be able to handle it.

I followed Bill's advice above and kept at it until I made it work. However I still have some inconsistency with my Virtual Buttons on the dashboard. Most of them work but a couple do not. All the Buttons I made in the button controller work with "Run Actions" so I know the button in the Button Controller App is setup correctly. But in the Dashboard the results are unexplainable at the moment

I have noticed on a few occasions the button controller app loosing the event subscription details. I had to completely wipe out that button presses action from the app and recreate it.

Click on the gear to the left of the app and check that the event subacription is present for the action/button you are tring to setup.

1 Like

OK I have all my buttons working now. Some tips for anyone working on this.

1. Make sure when you make a new virtual button to go back into your parent button controller app and add those new virtual buttons.
  2. If you experience control issues like I did, then delete the entire child button app and rebuild it.
  3. There is one part where you first make a new button in the button controller app and you may be tempted to manage conditions. That leads you down the wrong path. You want to 1st add a new action to even have any conditions to manage or at least that was how I saw it.
    I have 8 functional scenes now and this is freaking awesome.

Wiz doesn't do start/stop raising. But Button Controller can adjust levels. Chose the 'Adjust dimmer' action. You would get rid of your held/released actions and put adjust dimmer actions on the pushed events.

1 Like

I'm not sure why you have all those virtual button device instances. You only need 1 virtual device. In your case you'd set the # of buttons to 6 in the virtual device. Then in the Button Controller app you set up push actions for buttons 1-6. Here is my virtual button device with 4 buttons: