[WITHDRAWN] Unofficial Ring Integration

Blockquote[quote="JNS, post:92, topic:26423, full:true"]
This is how I did mine

[/quote]

Very nice @JNS! It must have taken a while to program this! I’m still getting use to the RM interface...

How do you set up the setMode on Ring Alarm Hub? I don't see any options that lead me there under rule machine.

edit: nevermind, I found it by scrolling up and reading other posts!

Hello,

I just installed everything, went like clockwork

I see these warnings in my logs

Yes, the smoke device code is installed

I don't see any of my zcombo (smoke/CO2) devices in the device list. Everything else is there...

Thoughts?
Rick

@codahq

The only device I'm having issues with is my Ring Beams Motion Sensor where it's not showing any motion events at all.

Events Logs:

This is after deleting/recreating this device yesterday, no motion events are showing at all.

Motion Events on Ring App:

I'll try to get logs tomorrow when I'm more available.

I don't have a driver for the ZCOMBO direct connected to the hub. The driver that exists is for the listener. It's not for a detector. I don't have one of those direct connected. Maybe I will try connecting one of mine and write a driver.

In the meantime, if you want to help go to the web app at ring.com and tell me what kinds of things you can do with the smoke detector. Can you configure anything for it? Does it have any config options? I have a feeling we won't be able to do anything with it except get the battery level and I probably already know how to do that if it does it like all of the other devices. There might not even be events over the websocket for it.

This device might be tricky for me to test as well since I have professional monitoring and triggering the smoke to catch messages will call the fire department. That's why I didn't do much for the listener either except battery. Maybe I will need to enlist somebody who has the alarm but doesn't have monitoring to help me out on this. I can show you how to sleuth out some messages for us.

I guess I can also check the home bridge integration and Dustin's Ring API. @dustin.greif might have already figured the smoke detector out.

I see why it's not working. I think they've either changed the JSON since I made this driver to make it more inline with the rest of the Beams devices or I just missed this one because I don't use it in any automations.

I pushed a change to fix it.

By the way, I hate my Beams motion sensor. I feel like the battery life should be much better than it is. I choose not to rely on it because the batteries are going to be dead more often than not.

Thanks, motion events are working now. I just had Ring replace my motion sensor since water was getting inside, hoping the battery life will be better on the new one.

They replaced 7 beam lighting devices also for me for free that were also getting water inside. They said the newer units should fix the issues with water getting inside so we'll see if the newer ones are better in that regard and with battery life.

Hello,

No device configs or settings of any kind that I can find

Battery would be awesome :slight_smile:
As for testing, can the test button be used for "testing" that doesn't trigger emergency response as I have professional monitoring as well

For now, I will remove the listener code (honestly didn't pick up on that) since I only have detectors and no listeners :slight_smile:

Thanks, Rick

Interesting. I wonder if I should call over there and find out what they'll do for me. My pathlights are completely hazed over because of all of the condensation and nonsense inside them. My spotlights are getting to the same point. My motion sensor averages about 3 to 4 weeks on a pair of batteries.

Did it provide at least battery life for the smoke detector?

As far as what you can do with professional monitoring I have tried the following from the Ring app without an calls from the monitoring company or email notifications from Ring:

• Used the "Test Siren" button on the alarm device. It sounds the siren for about 10 seconds and then turns it off automatically. You can cancel it earlier if you want
  • Used the "SOS" button on the top right of the dashboard. It looks like a red shield with a white exclamation point. This takes you to a screen where you can request the police or fire department or down at the very bottom "SOUND SIREN ONLY". I've sounded the siren only a few times but only for very short bursts; shorter even than the "Test Siren" length above.

I have the equivalent of both of these in Hubitat. Under a "Ring Alarm Hub" device there is a "Siren Test" command (sirenTest from RM) which does the first one. There is also a "Siren" command (siren from RM) that does the second one. To turn it off you can do the "Off" command (off from RM).

You can do both of those safely with professional monitoring I think. I'm not sure beyond that what you can do. I don't know what the smoke detectors do if you try either of those. They may chirp. You can try it out if you want. If they don't do anything then the device will very likely just be a placeholder driver with battery (assuming the UI provided that for you when you looked).

Yes, I would call or do the online live chat to get them replaced. I'm betting that's making the batteries die much quicker than they should. The two pathlights that didn't have that issue I haven't had to replace batteries yet since having them for several months.

@codahq Thanks for your efforts here. I have Ring all over the house so this integration opens up many possibilities.

One feature I would love to see is the ability to get a snapshot / thumbnail / still image into my Hubitat dashboards. I know you mentioned this as a possibility in a previous reply. Is this doable?

I have been trying to figure out a workaround for getting some sort of still image out of Ring, but doesn't seem possible. Their new "snapshot capture" feature they are rolling out will be nice, but will be locked in their app and not accessible to the outside world (unless their private API's allow).

Would love your thoughts.
Thanks!

2 Likes

Anyone setup a RM 4 to arm/disarm ring using presence? Care to post a screen shot?

Rick

Hey toy4rick, here’s a screenshot of the action. I have different triggers setup. There’s also other examples in the posts above.

Sébastien

1 Like

Yeah, as Sébastien has shown, it’s just set mode. Here’s a rule that is triggering via a virtual switch so that switch can easily be used in presence rules, scenes, Alexa, etc.

My rule has additional actions that aren’t going to be used by anyone but me, but you get the idea.

Well for the life of me I can't find that setting
When I select Set Mode, run custom, select actuator, select my Ring Hub then select setMode... the only parameter type is string, number and decimal

What am I doing wrong?
Rick

you choose string then type in the exact name of the parameter

But keep in mind that if you want to use mode as a condition, the exact name is also important. For example even though setMode is Disarmed, in the status disarmed is off. So if using Mode as a condition, you would type off, not Disarmed.

5 Likes

Well OK, clear as mud now... I'll start playing with it today

Thanks again
Rick

Just one correction in these instructions. You actually do pass the values that are shown in the "Set Mode" command from the driver.

I just checked this out in RM to make sure. The "off" and other values for mode are set by Hubitat for alarm devices but I decided to use some slightly more user friendly values for better or worse.

You should use:
Disarmed
Home
Away

Hope that clears up any confusion.

Yes for actions, but for conditions I had to use exactly what was shown in status (i.e. off) when I wanted to trigger an action from Disarmed. I tried Disarmed as a condition string value, but the rule did not work until I changed the string value to off.

It mattered if I used incorrect capitalization as well. The name had to be exact