[WITHDRAWN] Unofficial Ring Integration

Hello, every one. You can trigger actions strictly off rings now aka button presses on doorbells. The "Ring Generic Camera" driver implements PushableButton and the app differentiates between the two types. I also updated the IFTTT page to give information about how to set up the applets.

Files changes:

• "Unofficial Ring Connect" app
  • "Ring Generic Camera" driver

Once or twice I noticed that while polling Ring actually includes duplicate ring events in the web service call. I didn't de-duplicate these but I may in the future to keep our Hubitat event logs clean.

Alexa Guard is now added to routines. I tried to select this option a few days ago and it didn't work, but while you still cannot turn OFF Guard from an Alexa Routine, you can at least turn it ON via an Alexa Routine. This a very helpful, because instead of having to say "Alexa, Guard", we can now say our normal custom phrase, "Alexa, I'm leaving" and then Ring Alarm will set and turn on Guard. It also adds a voice prompt to remind you to manually disarm if you say, "Alexa, Stop Guarding".

This will also allow us to also trigger Alexa Guard via an Alexa Routine, so we can have it turn on via geolocation.

Do u have Echo Speaks?

The way I have Guard setup is setting it up in the Echo Speaks app based on presence, it'll turn Guard on/off based on presence or other options too.

No. I prefer to use the official routines. I know it's not as flexible, but it never breaks :grin:

@codahq

I can't get Ring events to work so far using the IFTTT integration.

I see this in logs:
[app:1569] (http://10.100.11.186/logs#app1569) 2019-11-22 02:20:33.375 pm [trace]
(http://10.100.11.186/installedapp/configure/1569) params: [access_token:xxxxxx]], request: [body:{ "kind": "ring", "motion": false, "id": "RING-xxxxxx]" }, JSON:[kind:ring, motion:false, id:RING-xxxxxx]], requestSource:cloud, HOST:cloud.hubitat.com], data: { "kind": "ring", "motion": false, "id": "RING-xxxxxx]" }, id: RING-xxxxxx], device: Ring Front Doorbell Pro 2

[app:1569] (http://10.100.11.186/logs#app1569) 2019-11-22 02:20:33.361 pm [debug]
(http://10.100.11.186/installedapp/configure/1569) processIFTTT([body:{ "kind": "ring", "motion": false, "id": "RING-xxxxxx]" }, JSON:[kind:ring, motion:false, id:RING-xxxxxx], requestSource:cloud, HOST:cloud.hubitat.com])

Device Events, there is should be 5 rings on this list:

It seems to be setup right, I get motion events just fine on this device and my other devices but not seeing any push button events when doorbell is rung on several tests.

1 Like

I see the problem. I put out conflicting messages in the app instructions. The JSON examples should have shown:

{ "kind": "ding", "motion": false, "id": "RING-XXXXXX" }

Instead the kind is "ring". If you update your IFTTT applet to have a kind of "ding" instead of "ring" it will fix. I've already corrected the instructions on the app's IFTTT page and pushed an update.

1 Like

What did you think of the instructions on the IFTTT page anyway? Pretty good? I was pretty happy with the way that page turned out. I put a few things on that page that I've never seen another app do.

Your suggestion worked to change the JSON body in IFTTT to ding and verified it's showing correctly now on your instructions on the app now too after updating the app just now too.

I think the instructions was really easy to follow, I have a few applets in IFTTT that uses webhooks already so it was really easy for me to do. You also have very detailed instructions with a screenshot so I think anyone that isn't too familiar should be able to set it up as well. I really love that all of the info is on the same page like how the webhooks URL and body payloads are all right there.

This is definitely the best Ring Integration out there with how many options there are and how quick the events are. It's even better than what's on Smartthings that had an official Integration since there's support for the Ring security devices and beam lighting which I have 10 lights/motion sensors outside.

My only suggestion I could think of at some point is maybe an option to control sensitivity settings like on the app if that's even possible.

The sensitivity for which devices? The Smart Lighting outdoor sensors? The alarm motion sensors? What's the use case for that? Just to get out of the Ring app altogether or would you use it in an automation?

Any of the motion sensor devices like the cameras and lights if it's possible. Use case I could use it for is adjusting sensitivity higher or lower based on mode in RM. It's not a necessity, just throwing it out there if it's possible.

Wow! @codahq, I love this integration that you built! I just (finally!) received my Hubitat hub this week and finally got to install the integration this morning. It works great!

I have a question: in an earlier post, you mention that the Ring alarm can be armed through the RM. I tried, but can’t yet figure out what action to run to do this... I would love to get some help on this if possible.

Thanks!
Sébastien

1 Like

This is how I did mine

2 Likes

As above, you choose Actuator, like this...

3 Likes

This works for everything except Mute and Unmute. For those, choose Music Player, then the Ring Hub, and then Mute or Unmute

1 Like

You can also trigger other devices based on Ring Custom Attributes

1 Like

Awesome @SmartHomePrimer! That is what I needed to know. I was able to complete the rule and successfully test it.

2 Likes

Now my next question... is there a way to add Ring alarm in a Dashboard? This could be to view its status or to change it if that’s possible... I’ve tried all the templates that I could see, but to no avail...

1 Like

Yes. I’m out right now, but can send some examples later.

1 Like

Select 'Ring Alarm Hub' then select attribute in the template list. You can't change the Ring alarm mode from there, that I know of, but you can view countdown timers and status. You could sync HSM to Ring and change Ring's mode from HSM.

2 Likes

Thanks @JNS! I’ve tried the “mode” attribute and that does allow me to see the mode status, which is what I was primarily looking for.

As for syncing, I’ve got HSM synced to Ring, but will wait to synch the other way around. I have a monitored alarm, so don’t want to accidentally have it trigger on me... :blush: