[WITHDRAWN] Unofficial Ring Integration

I'm not sure what you mean. I didn't implement any states on the chime driver to be able to tell when something played because we don't have an endpoint to know that. The chimes are strictly for control.

I'm not sure if this helps but here is how I setup my door chimes.

(I implemented "beep" on the chime driver so RM can watch for a contact open and just play "beep".) If I missed the interpretation of what you were trying to get let me know.

I'm not sure. I'm a Ring rookie. This is the first Ring device I've owned. I do know about the Ring Chime/Extenders they have for the doorbells. Is that what you're referring to?

What I'm referring to is the double-tone that the Ring Alarm base station makes when the contact sensor is opened in a disarmed state. I can see obviously how to trigger the siren, but not how to trigger that chime. So one way I could think of would be if the Ring contact child device state could be changed from the driver, then I could use Custom Actions to set the Ring contact sensor state to Open when one of my Zigbee contact sensors open. I'd like to get the full experience for my wife to decide if she likes it too.

You know how I feel about keeping the devices separate for safety and security, so this would only be for my testing of this alarm system. I need to make sure it's right for us, but don't want to install their contact sensors for testing. Only if I keep the system would I use it with the Ring Z-Wave sensors.

If it's a huge effort, then not essential. A nice to have for sure.

Oh, right. I call those chirps but in the app they are called "Chirp Tones" and they are configured individually per contact sensor. From there each sensor talks to the base when it opens and the base decides which tone to play based on the setting. Unfortunately, there isn't a way as far as I can tell through the app to trigger an arbitrary chirp tone at any arbitrary time so that means I can't do it from any driver either. If I give you a method to set the state of the driver it would just set the state of the driver and not do anything else and then the state of the driver would be out of sync with the contact until the next event synced it up again. You wouldn't be able to make the chirp without actually opening a contact.

If you do find a way to trigger the individual chirp sounds or any chirp sound from the app let me know where and I can reverse it. Then I can just put it on the alarm base as beep (instead of the contact sensor).

I think I understood what you meant that time. Let me know if I'm still missing it.

1 Like

Nope you got it exactly. No worries then. I will order another contact sensor to test the system with.

Really appreciate all the hard work you put into this.

1 Like

I made a handful of unimportant and important changes.

• Added import URLs to everything (I think) so that you can update easier
  • Added battery level (as requested) to a handful of devices that could have batteries. This is tricky because some of the devices that use the driver have batteries and some don't. This means you may have battery status on a device that is mains powered. Meh. Not willing to create a different device driver for that. Sorry.
  • Finished adding the ability to use IFTTT to call directly into the app to get motion and ring events. Any of you wonder why the app wanted OAuth enabled? It's because it was trying to generate a token for this purpose. There is a fair amount of documentation in the app about how to set this up if you choose to do so.
  • Made authentication a little more stalwart. Fixed a situation where if a poll happened during the 2-step challenge we wouldn't spam the Ring server until we locked the account for 24 hours.
  • There is a siren driver now. Sadly, I couldn't find out how to sound the siren indefinitely and separately like you can with the hub. It really only reports battery life and does siren tests. I may decide to chain these together to effectively sound the siren but for now I don't think it's worth it
  • There is a switch driver now. If you want to connect simple lights or outlets directly to the Ring hub you may do so. Since Ring has no rules machine of any kind this is kind of pointless but since I had a device that appeared as a switch connected I decided to add this functionality anyway JUST in case.
  • Fixed an issue where polling may have returned no results because the hardware id was missing from the active dings call.

Every file was touched and had a change because of the import URLs but the only important changes are in the app and the non-websocket drivers. I advise to update everything.

I also updated the first topic. What happens if I mark this post as a solution and later on I want to mark my next update as a solution. Can I move the solution to another post? I guess I'll find out.

3 Likes

I'm glad somebody does. This was an enormous amount of work.

1 Like

@codahq

I can't find the IFTTT options anywhere on the app after updating the app/drivers. Do I have to remove and readd the app to expose that option?

Assuming you got the app updated there should be a new section second from the bottom called "Getting Events From Ring." Click on "Configure the way that Hubitat will get motion alert and ring events" in that section. You do not need to reinstall.

Thank you, much much appreciated!
I haven’t set this up yet, but thank you for the enormous amount of time you have spent on this, Ring users like myself are in your debt.

2 Likes

Just got around to setting this up and wow is this amazing. Thanks for all your work on this, this is incredible. Any possibility of getting camera thumbnails? I'd love to get them on a dashboard.

1 Like

I haven't tried yet but from what I noticed the Android app doing we might be able to get thumbnails. I'll look into it after I fix two other drivers I maintain.

1 Like

Thanks and thanks again for the awesome work.

2 Likes

Has anybody tried the IFTTT option for motion events yet?

Hi - question...

Using the Elite Doorbell Pro, is there a way with this integration for Hubitat to trigger a Z Wave chime [Z-Wave doorbell • Aeotec] when the Elite doorbell is pressed?

Thank you

There sort of isn't. I knew this question was coming. When I created the events I don't differentiate between a ring or a motion so both events are counted as motion.

I knew that I probably should have made the differentiation but I didn't. I will make it possible soon. It's at the top of my to-do list. Once I make the drivers differentiate between rings and motions you can then use RM to watch the doorbell. One of the reasons I didn't differentiate them was because I didn't see a doorbell type functionality here:

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Driver_Capability_List

I was going to ask the HE devs if there was a doorbell capability but I never got around to it.

@mike.maxwell Is there a doorbell capability that I'm not seeing or one on the way?

Depending on Mike's answer I can add ring events to an OOB attribute or a custom one. Then RM can watch that and you can choose any action at that point (including doing any Z-Wave device's anything).

I just use a button press for a doorbell event. It is a button after all.

Where do you do this? You have written a driver some where for a doorbell?

If so, it appears that I can't just send a pushed event for button 1 over and over again. For example, the first time I pushed the button it worked. Five minutes later I pushed the button and no event was recorded in the log. Am I required to implement ReleasableButton just so I can fake a release event?

I guess this could be another question for @mike.maxwell too.

Quick fix, look at line 26, hubitat-ring/Ring_Doorbell.groovy at master · dcmeglio/hubitat-ring · GitHub you need to set stateChange: true

Feel free to steal any of my Ring code, seems like you've gotten further with the integration than I did!

Button events must have isStateChange: true

1 Like

Just wanted to report my experience with the IFTTT option since I just set it up tonight. The IFTTT option is much quicker than I expected it to be since IFTTT has traditionally been slow previously for other uses I have used previously. All that is missing is button presses that I still use the HubConnect from Smartthings to Hubitat for now but I see you posted you were already looking at it.

My 4 cameras (Doorbell, Floodlight and Indoor) seems to be just as quick as HubConnect connecting Ring Integration on Smartthings to Hubitat and just as quick as Alexa to Hubitat via virtual devices. This solution shows motion alerts with 1-2 seconds as far as when Ring app notifies me so I think this is the best solution so far being there's no virtual devices needed.

1 Like