With new Z-Wave firmware (7.17.1) can you pair Fibaro Motion Sensor ZW5 with no security?

I have a Fibaro Motion Sensor ZW5 (the one that looks like an eyeball). When I started switching over to C-7 hubs, I moved it off the C-4 but when I paired it with the C-7 is would only pair with S0. I immediately removed it and put it back on the C-4 which I now have reserved for devices that don't play nicely with the C-7.

Now with the new (7.17.1) firmware on the C-7 hubs and reports of improved pairing action, I am wondering if anyone has tried the ZW5 and can share whether it can be paired with no security?

Thanks!

There is a section in @danabw’s seminal tome on use of a Z-Wave USB stick that tells how to add with no security on a C-7.

On those rare occasions when I need it, I run PC Controller in Bootcamp on an Intel-based iMac.

3 Likes

Totally aware of that, thanks.

1 Like

It's a bug fix for the mesh side of the ZWave Radio. It does not alter the certification requirements. The USB stick is still your only friend in this regard.

4 Likes

Or other secondary controller. For example, even an old Aeon Labs Minimote works to pair devices with no security.

4 Likes

Always liked the old Aeons...they were my "Picos" sprinkled around my house until I came to HE and learned about the Pico/Lutron integration combo.

If only the Z-Wave masters at Sillabs would enable an "expert mode" that HE could then expose on the hub...

5 Likes

Same. They’re also really useful as a handheld controller to exclude devices. And for 700-series controllers, they work for inclusion with no security.

3 Likes

That would be a nightmare for everyone involved.

Ranting user: I enabled expert mode and did this, that, and this other thing

@bobbyD Umm... It wasn't designed to do that, you may have burned out the radio. We specifically warned against that. We can't help you. You will need to purchase a new unit.

Ranting user: I demand service!!!! You either replace this since you allowed access to it or I WILL NEVER LET YOU LIVE IT DOWN!!!!

@bobbyD Thread closed.

6 Likes

Hey I have a minimote on my desk and didn't know it could be used to include.
So i just hit the plus button on the minimote? Does the C7 have to be in inclusion mode? I'm thinking no, otherwise it will include with security...

I think you meant "case closed" on the "expert mode" :-). But as @csteele pointed out, the new firmware doesn't change how the legacy S0 devices are included on the C7 model, so the thread can also be closed.

5 Likes