Wink moves to Subscription model

‘Cause this discussion is getting kinda boring at this point.

G’night everyone.

3 Likes

@dman2306, @marktheknife, and anyone else interested: Discourse has this adorable useful feature that lets you ignore posts by a specific user for as long as four months. Consider using it so we don't keep going around in circles.

Thanks!

4 Likes

I find Prusa3D (3D Printer company) interesting. It is opensource. It is for-profit. The owner, Joe, does a regular journal on the operations of his company and roadmap. Sure this isn't an apples-to-apples comparison to an IoT market play, but successful 'open' businesses do exist. Joe open-sources his product (designs/bill of materials, 3d printed physical components, and software). He able to do this as

(1) he's tuned his process and supply chain to stay ahead of the competition for the feature level and quality level offered, and

(2) the loyal community he's grown is huge worldwide, and their contribution back includes not just ideas but improved components to even just-in-time feedback on the step-by-step assembly/upgrade instructions that are available to customers online.

Sure there are Chinese knockoffs (i3 clones), but they are always playing catch-up. Pretty exciting to watch for me... There may be parallels to HE (or potentially could be), but this is just food for thought.

3 Likes

That is a cool story, thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

Thanks SOO much for suggesting in a public forum that those repeatedly, persistently, and excruciatingly disparaging a well-articulated viewpoint without offering any tangible rebuttal can simply "ignore" me, or that such a thing would be necessary.

You're welcome?

There is a point in many threads and conversations where most/all salient points have been made, and those discussing still disagree. At that point there is little point in the thread or discussion continuing. :man_shrugging:

No matter how compelling you think your position is, that doesn't mean others will agree. And that's ok.

8 Likes

I kinda like the way @bravenel put it in another thread before closing it:

This thread has gone sideways into speculative la-la land.

4 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. I have a Wink 2 in a drawer that I was planning on putting on Kijiji any day now. Oh well, at least the rubber grips on the bottom will make it good at holding open a door or two.

In all seriousness, if anyone wants it, send me a self paid envelope and it's yours for free.

Cheers,

Thanks for the reminder.

1 Like

yep

9 Likes