Will Hubitat support Matter? [Spoiler: YES]

Awesome! Thank you.

Just to make sure you're clear about these Nanoleaf devices...

If you have a "HomeKit over Thread" Nanoleaf device connected to your Apple Home instance, you cannot share that device via Matter to Hubitat or any other Matter Controller.

If your Nanoleaf device has had its firmware updated to support "Matter over Thread", and then you connect/pair it to your Apple Home instance, you can share that device via Matter to Hubitat or any other Matter Controller.

Just be aware that when you upgrade some devices from old, original "Homekit over Thread" firmware to "Matter over Thread" firmware, you may lose some of the original functionality. This is due to the fact that the Matter Spec must be followed, and it is currently a 'lowest common denominator' specification.

Please verify that your Nanoleaf devices will still support Apple's Dynamic Lighting feature if they are upgraded to "Matter over Thread" firmware. My guess is that they will not. :thinking:

5 Likes

Oh, that was the exact scenario I was asking about, was I unclear?

I’m aware of this which was why I wanted to use the older spec nanoleaf thread bulbs. The new matter version does not support dynamic lighting as it isn’t in the matter spec yet.

Good catch, the device must be Matter enabled in order to use Matter (updated my post for clarity).

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification.

1 Like

Bottom line, look for the matter logo and you're set.

2 Likes

Hi to all,
As long as Hubitat will not issue an official commitment to Thread and Matter, I will stay with my two C7 Hubs.
For me Matter matters.
I had the chance to see one of my colleagues Smart Home working with a bunch of Matter devices. He confirmed that the start was complicated, but mainly due to 2 facts.
He didn't capture that thread is not Wifi an was not able to connect devices to his old hub. Second the first releases from the manufacturers were buggy but got better with firmware updates.
His actual system works well and the interaction between devices and hubs is great.

So I still wait for an official announcement from Hubitat and if it takes too long, I may also switch over to another system as Matter is the future.

It has been publicly announced that Matter is currently being beta tested (many community members are testing it, and you can join if you want).

9 Likes

To be fair I did spend a reasonable amount of time trying to find what I thought was a publicly available teaser that Matter was coming, but could not find anything more than passing references to it. but nothing concrete that was easily available. That said... the title of this topic does give it away... but again, not officially.

1 Like

There has been no commitment to Thread. However, as noted by @bertabcd1234, Matter is actively being beta-tested. And Hubitat staff have commented on upcoming Matter support in the non-beta sections of the Hubitat community.

2 Likes

Here you go :slightly_smiling_face:.

7 Likes

I was about to post that exact beta testing call out! :+1:

I knew I'd seen it somewhere... thanks @marktheknife

2 Likes

Ok, thank you for that info. As said, I will not buy a new C8 until Matter is officially released and in that post there is no roadmap.

On the other hand, I completely understand that thread is a radio signal while matter is a software layer, but most Matter certified devices use thread. So what is the Hubitat solution if their brand-new hub can't do thread ?

Maybe I'm wrong but I think that a Matter and Thread enabled router can hand over the device to any Matter enabled hub. So, a statement about thread compatibility and about recommended solutions would be great, Also a roadmap for a C8 rev.2 or a C9 supporting thread could calm users.

Thread is a protocol not a signal, while matter is more of a framework. Matter rides on both thread or wifi. Both matter and thread run on ipv6

No... It has to be a commissioner... So essentially homekit, echo, and google are commissioners... They are also border routers. Things like Nanoleaf panels are thread
routers but they can't route matter over wifi nor commission them to a network.

No one is upset. When the c8 came out it was announced that thread would be available later in the year in their adcopy. It was announced several months ago that matter is in beta... If you would like to try matter, you can get a c8 and join the beta.

There is also not going to be a c9 for the forseeable future probably for 2 reasons. Right now there is no 900 series z-wave chip, and they only just released the c8 this years and they usually go a few years between releases.

4 Likes

Does that mean that buying a Homepod mini allows the C8 to use devices connected over thread to it to be used, as soon as Matter is released on the C8 ?

Yes.

3 Likes

Yes as well as matter over wifi... Ebay is full of refurbished homepod mini's that come with a 1 year warranty. Great deals..

1 Like

Publicly announced roadmaps are not something we usually see from Hubitat staff.

6 Likes