Why does everyone reboot

Yeah so my hubs becomes unreliable and keeps giving me an error code 400 in the logs. Sadly don’t have time to work out why.

Is there a way to have the hub reboot automatically now?

I haven't eliminated any devices but I eliminated all automation processing from the hub and moved that onto another system. So I got rid of rule machine, button controller, etc... Left all devices as-is. Haven't noticed any slow downs since.

I do have an ISA SCSI card and some 50MB drives. I just can't see where I plug them into the HE hub. I really do want to expand the file storage. :wink:

2 Likes

Please have mine ! I'll give it to you with great pleasure (and price)

2 Likes

Where do I send the payment?

1 Like

I use the Rebooter app created by @dman2306 ... I schedule a weekly reboot at 3AM every Saturday. Works like a charm.

I am a fairly new user with a very simple setup... only 12 devices.

• 5 Zooz/GE/Inovelli Zwave AC-powered units (switches and outlets)
  • 1 Zooz Zwave battery powered motion sensor
  • 5 Iris iL06_1 Zigbee battery powered open/close sensors.
  • 1 Samsung Zigbee battery powered door/tilt sensor

I have 5 Simple Automation rules which cover some timers and Inovelli LED alerts for sensor states. I have 1 Motion Lighting rule.

Over the last 2 weeks my HE has gradually slowed down. This morning I was unable to load the dashboard web page at all. I was still able to access the settings web page, so I rebooted. Now everything is snappy again.

If anyone is collecting data on slowdowns I am happy to share more details, dump logs, watch for future events, etc.

@Horseflesh If you have ever pulled the plug to shut down the hub, you may have a corrupted database. As a first step, I would perform a soft reset. Download a recent backup to your computer and then follow Soft Reset - Hubitat Documentation

1 Like

This sounds worrying, especially as it's difficult for them to replicate.

I've noticed my hub slowing down after 2 weeks - specifically motion rules and my dashboards running slow.

Since then (4 months), I've been using the reboot app to do a "restart" (which i lighter than a reboot) once a week, and that has completely solved my issue.

My hub has only been in service about a month and as far as I know, has never had an ungentle reboot.

Didn't apple slow down their phones to make users buy the latest phone...

I offloaded my rules/apps logic to a different system just like @MRobi did and my hubs have been very stable for a while.

Having said that HE is still the most critical part of my infrastructure and I still strongly recommend it to my family, friends and residential clients whom I will ultimately have to provide first line support..

Also this community is awesome - I've learned a ton of stuff.

2 Likes

I won't. :slight_smile:

Anything that requires constant support outside of being paid for, is a waste of your time.

Moving forward, if I were to do an install, I would pick higher end devices with better automation software that requires little to no support. (I have one in mind. :slight_smile: )

Oh I certainly don't want to constantly support things either.. believe me!!!

I feel I now have enough experience for what's required to set up a stable HE environment and troubleshoot. We'll see though..

I have mitigated the need for constant rebooting by replacing many (not all) of my RM rules with a combination of: Simple Automations, Motion Lighting, and Notifications. I have even had to replace one RM rule with several Simple Automations.
All of my "instant response required" situations are down with those apps, not RM.
Those "first cousin" apps have never slowed down. Even if the RM rules have slowed down.
It shouldn't be that way, but since it is, you have to adapt.

I rarely use rule Machine as well. I just create multiple simple rules to get to the end result

1 Like

I think that is the way to go with HE rules - use the lighter weight apps if you can.

Another case of YMMV - I have several rules and motion groups working to control the lights around the house. So far I have not have any real slowdown issues. I also have a custom app for the most complex of my flows.

I am planning on looking at Code Red for control but haven't installed it yet. I'm not moving for any performance issues but rather that I find RM frustrating to work with. All the drop down menus, insert before, and edit entry UI components drive me nuts.

Funny thing - I recently got a new laptop that has a turbo button. It over clocks a single core so that it can keep the thermals in spec. It can be useful for a single threaded task but not something I have used so far.

I picked it up specifically for Photoshop work. It is a hexi-core i7 with a GeForce® GTX 1660Ti video card. I added 64 GB RAM and a second 1TB NVME SSD with 400 GB dedicated just to the Photoshop cache files. It is quite a beast compared to my 2011 desktop. :wink:

2 Likes

Come join us over on the dark(red) side...

The Node-RED Nodes for Hubitat forum requires more victims...

:smiling_imp:

3 Likes