Why do I want Pushover?

Errrr actually I do just that for most of my home despite having HE :smiley:

1 Like

I have a sendmail device for myself, wife, and son who's still at home, and my brother (for leak notifications if we're away on vacation, which sadly never happens any more).

For my brother I add a subject line identifying the text is from me in his device page so when he gets the text remembers it's "me" and not some text spam.

2 Likes

I may have to try it. Only sms come across to my Fitbit. I know. Low technology.

1 Like

except if you are in the US most/all cell companies have a special email address based on the phone# that you can send mail to and it will show up in sms...

AT&T: {cell number}@txt.att.net (SMS), {cell number}@mms.att.net (MMS)
T-Mobile: {cell number}@tmomail.net (SMS & MMS)
Verizon: {cell number}@vtext.com (SMS), {cell number}@vzwpix.com (MMS)
Sprint: {cell number}@messaging.sprintpcs.com (SMS), {cell number}@pm.sprint.com (MMS)
XFinity Mobile: {cell number}@vtext.com (SMS), {cell number}@mypixmessages.com (MMS)
Virgin Mobile: {cell number}@vmobl.com (SMS), {cell number}@vmpix.com (MMS)
Tracfone: {cell number}@mmst5.tracfone.com (MMS)
Metro PCS: {cell number}@mymetropcs.com (SMS & MMS)
Boost Mobile: {cell number}@sms.myboostmobile.com (SMS), {cell number}@myboostmobile.com (MMS)
Cricket: {cell number}@sms.cricketwireless.net (SMS), {cell number}@mms.cricketwireless.net (MMS)
Republic Wireless: {cell number}@text.republicwireless.com (SMS)
Google Fi (Project Fi): {cell number}@msg.fi.google.com (SMS & MMS)
U.S. Cellular: {cell number}@email.uscc.net (SMS), {cell number}@mms.uscc.net (MMS)
Ting: {cell number}@message.ting.com
Consumer Cellular: {cell number}@mailmymobile.net
C-Spire: {cell number}@cspire1.com
Page Plus: {cell number}@vtext.com
1 Like

I use both Pushover and Twillo, one backs up the other.
I've always had issues with Hubitat mobile app not receiving notifications. It seem like it works for a while then it just stops.

Like just now, I tested a sensor and both Pushover and Twillo sent the notification but never received it from Hubitat mobile app. Had to go into my Samsung S10+ uninstall Hubitat app, then down load it again from Play Store. Once installed tested the sensor again and now I get a notification from Hubitat mobile app.

1 Like

Throwing this out there, I recently enhanced my Twilio community driver to make voice calls as well. This can be useful for important things like water leaks or be used if say mode is away and something happens:

2 Likes

Another vote for Pushover here. In addition to sending alerts via the Hubitat driver, you can also send them via an email address (similar to sending SMS messages via email above) from other platforms. Details here: https://support.pushover.net/i29-e-mailing-notifications-to-your-devices.

What I would really like at some point is that Hubitat reinstitutes native support for SMS. That's a feature that I expected when I came over from ST and was surprised/disappointed it was missing. I am hopeful that as they develop a more robust business model w/additional revenue sources (from the backup service and other offerings), that they can re-institute SMS support.

2 Likes

Or at least a secure email client...

1 Like

I use pushover for, I think at last count, over 20 applications. I'm not switching away now... :wink:

1 Like

Dammit...I promised @kahn-hubitat I'd have 50 new Sendmail users by tomorrow!

He's got one.

2 Likes

49 and counting down...I'm on a roll, baby!! :wink:

2 Likes

got ya beat. lol

Ok you guys have me beat.

Total of 15 apps using pushover across two hubs.

Cant believe I had to go and count !!

actually thats my email not pushover but you get the idea.. i also have a twilio acct and notification device but since you have to pay i avoid it except for critical warnings likes leaks , wine coolor too hot and fridges to cold. etc. those i have multiple methods of alerts.

3 Likes

critical

2 Likes

Next, we'll be talking about whether Hubitat has a Telegram integration that lets you generate phone calls, so you can listen to a spoken audio message sent from your hub. Of course, even without such a (native) integration, it's possible to send such alerts as HTTP calls to the Telegram API, which is well documented. Just like Twilio, Pushover and others discussed above.

Didn't see it mentioned above (it's a long thread) but one reason Pushover is cool is you can include html in your messages. So you can add colour, bold text etc. Also you can add a clickable link by including the relevant html in your message. This can be done for example, using the Pushover node in Node-RED. Unfortunately I don't think it is possible from HE because they filter out html from notifications text. When my HSM alarm goes off I get a notification to my phone and can click immediately on the link if I want to run a rule on HE to immediately turn the alarm off and reset it. The rule gets run by an endpoint. Works like a charm.

6 Likes

I think @JasonJoel meant he uses pushover as a means to centralize notifications from Hubitat, and at least 19 other services that may have little or nothing to do with Hubitat.

I didn’t use pushover before I started using Hubitat, but since then I’ve come up with other uses for it too. So I agree that’s a nice perk of integrating it with Hubitat.

1 Like