Why did the Hubitat Hub jump to $129.95

@Marbles

5 Likes

Exactly... Here is a snapshot of what ST reliability looks like...and why most of us no longer use ST...:wink:

May (only 6 days into the month...)

April

March

February

January

December 2019

11 Likes

I went back 3 years, and they never missed a beat, at least one issue every single month

9 Likes

They have also instituted what they refer to as "guardrails" in the new app. You can only create a limited number of automations with the new tools before your "done" and can't create anymore. It doesn't actually tell you that you have hit a guardrail either, you get a nice message that says "a network error has occurred." This was actually my final breaking point when I was trying to move from webCoRE back to native tools.

4 Likes

Yeah, but I have a similar list of Hubitat slow downs and reboots :wink:

1 Like

I'd noticed recently that Amazon had stopped selling the HE to Thailand due to limitations on the logistics side imposed after the Coronavirus pandemic. I'd bought from there before. So, literally yesterday I was browsing the Hubitat site directly and checked the price of another hub (would have been my 3rd, and will be my attempt to improve ongoing performance issues). Backed out of the system thinking "I'll wait for a sale" (it all adds up, what with shipping to Asia and import duties). Ha ha ha, should have gone for it. Maybe now I'll wait for the C7 instead :grin:

I bought my HE hub for around 130 I think. There's probably some "taking" going on but it's not unusual. As was pointed out MSRP is probably still officially 150.

That was the nail in the coffin of why I left ST. If Samsung... a giant, impressive and imposing company can't keep a cloud platform online then I thought it was time to stop relying on a cloud platform. I was tired of not being able to turn off my lights at night.

I don't have outages. I have slowdowns that I am in control of mitigating and I have reboots when they are convenient. Since there is a lot of development work going on the hope is that I will have neither slowdowns or reboots in the future.

I still take slowdowns and reboots over outages. What made it worse was... my internet service provide was horribly unreliable (Comcast) as well. You add internet outages to ST cloud outages and you essentially have fire and TNT together... just waiting for your wife to ignite.

3 Likes

You were waiting for my wife to ignite?
:laughing:

(I know you know) I actually meant my wife... but I'm sure my wife would give your wife the lighter if your house was/is having the same problems mine was.

There were times when she would have ran the gas line open in the fireplace for a couple of hours and rang the doorbell from the app to send it up in smoke... assuming there wasn't an outage and the doorbell would have responded.

2 Likes

Mate I know exactly the feeling. With the various gremlins and performance issues I've documented on this forum, my wife and I have been close to throwing it all out of the window multiple times. I just have to remember to smile and treat it as a hobby more than a really production ready consumer solution. It will get there but for now In my opinion, it all still has a way to go.

6 Likes

+1

1 Like

Respectfully I think you’re going about this the wrong way.

Tell us what questions you have and as you can already see, there are plenty of people here that are happy to help another home automation enthusiast whose current hub isn’t meeting their needs.

But your tone reads as though hubitat already owes you something because you’ve been dealt a bad lot as a wink user.

That may tend to bring out a defensive tone in others who are very satisfied hubitat users, and then all we’re left with is:

This community is better than that, and I look forward to seeing many former wink users join it.

13 Likes

I don't know your situation (why you want WiFi instead of ethernet), but in my opinion....Wifi is the first step to an unreliable system. It introduces so many variables and headaches to something you want to "just work" as much as possible.

If I change my wifi password it's already a pain-in-the-butt to change various devices...i would hate for my lighting to be in disarray.

8 Likes

I agree. Any device in my house that doesn’t move, I try to connect to the lan via Ethernet. If it’s a phone or laptop, then WiFi is of course a must.

I live in an apartment, and that is not conducive to runs of ethernet cable.

So I use relatively simple workarounds like powerline adapters, and occasionally wifi bridge devices.

5 Likes

You know how much I think Hubitat should charge for their hub?

...as much as the need to not have to "pull a Wink" down the road.

7 Likes

To me this is basic product economics. You can not have a sale if you don't charge "full" price at some point. If you ALWAYS run a sale, it is not really a sale. If their planning to run a upcoming sale you gotta go full price for some period of time.

IMO Hubitat is worth $129, even $149. AND they should offer an OPTIONAL paid service to include features like SMS or some other "value added" solution to provide the company more consistent revenue streams. Heck I'd even pay to have more "pretty development hours" devoted to UI/UX improvements.

Either way I think they make a premium product that is well worth ALL the prices listed on camelcamelcamel (great link, saved!)

8 Likes

All the assumptions on the price.. Are y’all sure the price is not set by algorithm ?

10 Likes

Funny that if anyone bought a hub a year/year and a half ago it is now worth at least twice as much with all the new features.

7 Likes

This. Anytime someone creates a thread like this one, people end up pretty vigorously declaring their reactions to a decision made by a small startup company, oftentimes in rather hyperbolic terms.

I can't help but think what's the point? We all have basically no idea what factors go into internal company decision-making on this and essentially everything else, So why make broad assumptions based on no real details?

If they want to make public announcements that provide context for some of the things that they do, then they will.

6 Likes

In general the only real power you have as a consumer is to vote with your wallet.

1. If someone thinks Hubitat did something "shady" with the price, then don't buy it.

2. If someone doesn't think the value a product provides is worth the price, then don't buy it.

No one is going to, or is obligated to, "convince" anyone to buy anything.

In fact, I'll go so far as to say that I genuinely don't care if xyz person buys the hub or not. That impacts me exactly zero.

That said - I like Hubitat, I use Hubitat, I say good things about Hubitat when asked. And I'm happy to help out (for free) on these forums, as time permits, because I enjoy the product and the community.

18 Likes