Why did the Hubitat Hub jump to $129.95

@aaiyar I believe he is referring to the camelcamelcamel link.....

3 Likes

What I find interesting (for me at least) the cost of the Hub pales in comparison to the dimmers, bulbs, RGBW drivers etc we all have.

So the cost can be looked as +/- one dimmer :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I see. Well October 2018 isn't 2.5 years ago. And it doesn't accurately list the price I paid in February 2019 (which was $129.95).

3 Likes

I think some of you who aren't current Wink users may be missing the point. It isn't about $30 bucks. It is the message that Hubitat just sent us.

To put the reaction that you see into more context, Wink users are being strapped over a barrel. Wink is on its way out (promise features for years and not deliver... why would we believe them now for $60/year?) We now look at Hubitat. How does HE maintain their business model in the long-term? They just raised the price 30% within a couple hours of the Wink notice being sent doesn't send a positive message to us. Is this company trying to regain revenue from selling so lean below MSRP in past months? What is their long-term prospect, so we don't face a similar situation in the next couple of years? We, as Wink users, are probably vested in several other cloud-dependent platforms (I am in 6), so how local can we really be? Integration makes us dependent on HE for some of this. For example, Hubitat's terms and conditions read they can pull 3rd party integrations at any time. Great.

Please sell me on this platform. Not by "its not cloud" but by being future-proof of my independence as much as possible. Not by comparing HE to ST as we're accustomed to the outages. I need wireless, not Ethernet, so unless ST is so much worse reliability-wise than what I've been accustomed to with Wink, I'd be investing in a whole bunch more hardware-related changes. Will Hubitat have a WiFi version soon? Is the adoption/learning curve easier with HE vs. ST? How about the UI? I see a basic iOS app that has just been updated after four months of inactivity. What is the committed roadmap/timetable for future updates to get to parity? Will the UI ever be comparable to Wink? Etc.

Please help.

3 Likes

This thread is quickly turning into one you might see on Reddit. :scream: The Hubitat folks for whatever reason increased the price (supply/demand still rules in a free economy). The fact of the matter is Hubitat is far more powerful than Wink ever was (Wink refugee here), but with great power comes great complexity. If you are looking for a point and click type GUI, HE is not for you, it is far more complex (and powerful). For those that LOVE the simplicity of Wink, you may opt to try SmartThings (blue pill option) first (with all its warts and all) then transition to HE (red pill option) when you are more confident to reap the power of Home Automation. You must also have to factor in WAF in your final decision. Good luck my ex-Wink compatriots!

7 Likes

@Marbles

5 Likes

Exactly... Here is a snapshot of what ST reliability looks like...and why most of us no longer use ST...:wink:

May (only 6 days into the month...)

April

March

February

January

December 2019

11 Likes

I went back 3 years, and they never missed a beat, at least one issue every single month

9 Likes

They have also instituted what they refer to as "guardrails" in the new app. You can only create a limited number of automations with the new tools before your "done" and can't create anymore. It doesn't actually tell you that you have hit a guardrail either, you get a nice message that says "a network error has occurred." This was actually my final breaking point when I was trying to move from webCoRE back to native tools.

4 Likes

Yeah, but I have a similar list of Hubitat slow downs and reboots :wink:

1 Like

I'd noticed recently that Amazon had stopped selling the HE to Thailand due to limitations on the logistics side imposed after the Coronavirus pandemic. I'd bought from there before. So, literally yesterday I was browsing the Hubitat site directly and checked the price of another hub (would have been my 3rd, and will be my attempt to improve ongoing performance issues). Backed out of the system thinking "I'll wait for a sale" (it all adds up, what with shipping to Asia and import duties). Ha ha ha, should have gone for it. Maybe now I'll wait for the C7 instead :grin:

I bought my HE hub for around 130 I think. There's probably some "taking" going on but it's not unusual. As was pointed out MSRP is probably still officially 150.

That was the nail in the coffin of why I left ST. If Samsung... a giant, impressive and imposing company can't keep a cloud platform online then I thought it was time to stop relying on a cloud platform. I was tired of not being able to turn off my lights at night.

I don't have outages. I have slowdowns that I am in control of mitigating and I have reboots when they are convenient. Since there is a lot of development work going on the hope is that I will have neither slowdowns or reboots in the future.

I still take slowdowns and reboots over outages. What made it worse was... my internet service provide was horribly unreliable (Comcast) as well. You add internet outages to ST cloud outages and you essentially have fire and TNT together... just waiting for your wife to ignite.

3 Likes

You were waiting for my wife to ignite?
:laughing:

(I know you know) I actually meant my wife... but I'm sure my wife would give your wife the lighter if your house was/is having the same problems mine was.

There were times when she would have ran the gas line open in the fireplace for a couple of hours and rang the doorbell from the app to send it up in smoke... assuming there wasn't an outage and the doorbell would have responded.

2 Likes

Mate I know exactly the feeling. With the various gremlins and performance issues I've documented on this forum, my wife and I have been close to throwing it all out of the window multiple times. I just have to remember to smile and treat it as a hobby more than a really production ready consumer solution. It will get there but for now In my opinion, it all still has a way to go.

6 Likes

+1

1 Like

Respectfully I think you’re going about this the wrong way.

Tell us what questions you have and as you can already see, there are plenty of people here that are happy to help another home automation enthusiast whose current hub isn’t meeting their needs.

But your tone reads as though hubitat already owes you something because you’ve been dealt a bad lot as a wink user.

That may tend to bring out a defensive tone in others who are very satisfied hubitat users, and then all we’re left with is:

This community is better than that, and I look forward to seeing many former wink users join it.

13 Likes

I don't know your situation (why you want WiFi instead of ethernet), but in my opinion....Wifi is the first step to an unreliable system. It introduces so many variables and headaches to something you want to "just work" as much as possible.

If I change my wifi password it's already a pain-in-the-butt to change various devices...i would hate for my lighting to be in disarray.

8 Likes

I agree. Any device in my house that doesn’t move, I try to connect to the lan via Ethernet. If it’s a phone or laptop, then WiFi is of course a must.

I live in an apartment, and that is not conducive to runs of ethernet cable.

So I use relatively simple workarounds like powerline adapters, and occasionally wifi bridge devices.

5 Likes

You know how much I think Hubitat should charge for their hub?

...as much as the need to not have to "pull a Wink" down the road.

7 Likes