Where and how to mount the hub. Orientation / polarisation

Hi all, I want to mount my hub and the external z-wave dongle in a permanent position after I have finished testing a few things. So far I'm very pleased with the Hubitat. Only one thing that bothers me a little is the range of the built in z-wave so I now have a Siren 6 added. And ordered 4 of these Neo Coolcam smart plugs (which I read different reviews of). The Siren 6 is doing well but I didn't notice any improvement in the z-wave range. I hope the plugs will do better but I have to wait because they only will be shipped after this Chinese bird flu cough corona thing is less of a threat.

Now the question is how to mount the z-wave dongle. Right up, horizontal or doesn't it matter at all? Same question for the hub in order to get best range for the zigbee radio.

Edit: same question for the Hue hub.

All the best, Rik

This has been discussed a few times. Here is a useful thread:

Yes I have read that but this is the question I'm asking as well but the answer is not clearly given.

I'm pretty certain the antennas are omni, and are most likely vertically polarized.

They could be circular, but I rather doubt it.

But to answer your underlying question, it doesn't matter what orientation the antenna is in. If the antenna was directional, and you were pointing it a specific receive antenna whose polarization you were trying to match, polarity would be a concern. But since remote devices can & are installed in all orientations, and signals between hubs and devices may be not be line of sight transmissions....who knows what the polarity is at any given device?

In terms of the Z-Stick, I expect there's a null in the radiation pattern at both ends of the stick, which would arguably be the most important factor for antenna placement. In other words, I wouldn't point the end of the stick directly at another device and expect awesome signal reception!

I've operated mine both flat against a wall in the closet, and flat on a table/shelf in the loft. Neither made a noticeable difference to my mesh (either Z-wave or Zigbee).

My hue hub is presently mounted flat on a wall, and I have no issues whatsoever with the Hue, and I have lights all around the perimiter of my house as well as in the interior.

A better way to improve range is to install repeating devices or dedicated repeaters. The zwave & zigbee networks are mesh networks and expect to have other repeating devices in the network to add range and robustness.

At the end of the day, a home or office environment is a horrible signal environment, multipathing, potential interference, material attenuation, signal blocking, etc are ALL present and quite often significant factors in your home or office. The hub is great, but in that environment, it needs all the help it can get.

S.

6 Likes

Ok @scottgu3 thats the answer I was looking for. So I'll mount the z-wave dongle vertical. Do you know if I can use an 5 meter extensioncord USB 2.0 or does it have to be 3.0 and amplified?

Thanks!

Rik

1 Like

That's a great question. I haven't looked at the hub to see what standard the port is, but I'm pretty sure A USB 2 extension would work. AEONS Z-stick page makes no mention of specific USB requirements for their Z-stick, which I would expect if they had some version requirement...and I should think Hubitats stick to be very similar.

@ 10 Meters though, I'd be worried about voltage and USB signaling levels, but it might work.
S.

1 Like

Ok, I bought a 5 meter USB 2.0 cable and can confirm it works great. The z-wave dongle is now vertically 50 cm under the ceiling and that improved the range significant.

1 Like

Great information. Thanks for sharing. :+1:

Interesting result. Thanks! Glad it worked out.

S.

Hmm... Look here.