What's Up With the Elevation Hub Environment Of Late

Unfortunately, it can’t be changed - the device has to be removed from the mesh (and the hub), and then added again. During the add process, you will need to cancel out of the S2 security option to have no security.

Once done, your rules will need to be re-connected to the devices. There are two options for this:

1. Create a placeholder (virtual) device and replace it in all rules and apps. Once re-paired, change from the virtual to the new real device. (You can see all rules and apps where the device is used on the bottom of the device screen.)
  2. Extract the rule to a file (from the gear icon) and then re-import it from file after you have updated your devices - map it to the new device(s).

I had to go through this a while back - it takes a bit of time, but is well worth the effort.

Power reporting is setup in the device page. Not all devices support this functionality. You will need to check each device to see if it does.

2 Likes

The actual removal of the switch w/out routing may be pretty simple. You can try excluding it via the normal process (hub in exclude mode, action on switch to put switch in exclude mode). That may not work in this case.

Other option is to:

1. Kill power to the switch (hit a breaker, or pull the air-gap on the switch)
  2. Hit the Refresh button on the Z-Wave Details page for that device (it may take more than once) until the "Remove" button appears.
  3. Hit the Remove button (also could take a few tries) to remove the device

Then look for the Device page for that switch in the Device tab - it may still be there, and use the red Remove button at the bottom of the page to remove the swtich from your Device list.

Reboot your hub, and then after it boots up and settles in, add the switch again. When the Security dialog appears during adding the switch, hit Skip (on a C7) so it can join w/out security, simpler and easier.

4 Likes

Thanks. That's my office switch, which started not working either physically or digitally yesterday. I was puzzled because it had power to the overhead light it controls, but I couldn't turn off the power from the switch. Forgetting to exclude it, I reset the switch and it started working again physically but not digitally. So I need to mess with that one.

The other device in that room that is extremely flaky is 0x26, an outlet controlling the lamp on my desk. I tried to have it go on when the room switch goes on, but that connection has always been iffy.

Sorry, my reply is in error since at first I thought you were referring to (026). Mea culpa.

No worries. If you fix 0x29 it may fix your other issues, only takes one device to start making your mesh unstable as other devices start trying to route through it.

3 Likes

As shown, updates don't break mesh's. If anything they expose issues that have been overlooked in ones setup.

2 Likes

I have periodic problems where after an upgrade and reboot, statuses on some Z-wave Plus Leviton switches seem to get off. It is also interesting that automation changes seem to be more reliable that voice changes though Alexa for a group/scene.

I have ordered some Aeotec repeaters to see if that helps with some devices actually some of the closest switches to the hub that seem to have a lot of route changes.

@bob8 Ring v2 repeaters are definitely better than the aeotec's. What firmware are you on with your leviton switches?

2 Likes

1.2 on all the Leviton DZ6HD/DZ15S dimmers and switches. I have some Leviton Plus outlets as well but I can't find any info on their latest revs.

The interesting thing is I don't think its so much of a distance problem as maybe too many next to each other. I have a couple of 4 gang boxes filled with plus switches less than 12 feet from the hub and the routes are pretty strange.

I have often pondered as to whether I had too many switches near one another.

Admittedly I haven't studied about virtual devices, so I should do that before asking. And maybe this deserves its own thread. But what are some practical uses of virtual devices other than as temporary place holders? A concrete example would help.

Using it as a trigger. For instance you have a group of things you want on. So you create a virtual switch. When that switch is turned on, Thermostat goes to 68, Living room lights group dim, all notifications are silenced and the detonator in your garage ignites...

5 Likes

They can be used to make one device (via a rule) into another. You could make a motion sensor into a contact sensor this way. Or even make motion into a switch.

They can be used to run rules when put onto a dashboard. Put a virtual button or switch as the trigger to the rule. This could be an extra trigger or the only trigger to a rule.

They can be used to test rules or apps without actually turning something on. This could be during a rule building process, or for diagnosis of a rule that isn't working as desired.

They can be for whatever you want them to be.

3 Likes

I use virtual presence sensors to combine multiple presence sensors into one; I use virtual switches/contact sensor to trigger Alexa routines from Hubitat, or to trigger Hubitat rules from Alexa, etc.

It is a concept that seems odd at first, but once you start doing more with the hub, it becomes very useful.

3 Likes

I use virtual switches to turn certain automations on or off. For example, you’re watching tv and you don’t want motion to turn the lights on. A virtual switch that you turn on or off on a dashboard can serve that purpose. You simply reference the virtual switch in the rule that automates the lighting.

3 Likes

My system would probably disagree with you. :grinning: That 1st device is an Aeotec. I have a Ring also that I have moved all over my house and I can never get anything to route thru it. In the Ring's defense, the Aeotec was 1st thing added to hub.

Agree. I had a Ring repeater and it was underwhelming on my mesh... So much so I gave it away. Tried it in two spots, for weeks. So my experience was not good.

I've had the opposite experience. Nothing would route through my aeotec's except another repeater. (They'd be fine on my c5) When I added the Ring v2, my mesh straightened right up

I fixed my Switch Office device. I created a Virtual Device named Phony Switch. I replaced all the places where Switch Office appeared in apps with Phony Switch, and deleted Switch Office from those apps. I excluded the Switch Office from the Z-Wave mesh and removed the device. I then added it back to the Z-Wave net and reversed all the app changes. Now the switch is working again and the various apps are working as well. At least for now. Now I need to do the same thing with the secondary outlets associated with the Office room, and then do the same with the devices associated with my original post. Then I guess I will work my way through the various other Z-Wave devices and attempt to remove the security authentication for them.

1 Like

Thanks for all the examples for use of virtual devices. I am not the most creative guy; give me something to do, I'm fine; but ask me to think up something to do, and I'm mostly clueless. So I guess I'm going to have to wade through the examples and try to get my limited creative juices flowing, and just start experimenting. The one that might bear fruit for me is the virtual button on a dashboard, although dashboards are not my favorite thing either, mostly because of the dashboard UI for editing. But that's just me. Being an ancient retired semi-techie, I often have time to play around with things in my IoT house. But once I have it setup and running, I am less inclined to play around and when it comes to fixing broken things I am less enthusiastic since I have to relearn what I learned during the initial setups. Sorry for rambling.

2 Likes