What to do when the Remote Admin stops working?

I've seen lots of posts about this and tried everything suggested. Some have found that this is an expired subscription problem, but my annual subscription started only 9 months ago. When I go to my.hubitat.com, my subscription is visible, but I'm told I have no registered hubs. I can access the hub locally with the local IP. remoteaccess.aws.hubitat.com brings me to the hub list and shows me my hub. The connect button just sits there and eventually times out. I've rebooted multiple times including letting the hub sit for a while. I don't have any trouble with any other devices (I'm looking at you, Alexa).

BTW, I can't even find my hub - even using advanced find - I give it the IP address, the MAC address, nothing. Can't find the hub. I am searching from a computer on the same network.

Very frustrating. Any ideas?

Thanks.

@support_team

1 Like

I am sure it's very frustrating. Based on the details provided, your hub is not connected to the cloud. If your hub is not connected, it wouldn't be able to use the Remote Admin service, and the hub may disappear from my.hubitat.com when disconnected for extended period of time. If you send me your hub's MAC, hub id or email account in a private message, I can look up if your hub is connected or not.

1 Like

Did you happen to set a fixed IP on the hub at some point? That seems to be causing some people issues lately, and your problem sounds nearly identical to what others were experiencing.

To recover from that, do a network reset by pressing the button in the picture below for at least 7 seconds. When you are done, do an IP reservation in your router, not on the Hubitat.

3 Likes

That's interesting. Yes, I have a fixed IP set in Hubitat. Easy enough to change to reserving the address in the router. Why do I need to do the network reset? Seems like I can make all the changes through the UI - I can still access it via the local address. Does the network reset change anything else?

Thanks.

Don’t think so. It just changes the network settings back to DHCP and reboots the hub so that it’ll grab a new IP address.

2 Likes

No, it doesn't, but you can try this instead:

2 Likes

Thanks for the PM. I can confirm that your hub has not been connected to the cloud since 2022-09-28. Do you see a notification in the upper right corner of your hub's interface stating that a cloud connection isn't available?

4 Likes

Thanks, everyone! Moved to DHCP with a fixed IP from the router. Rebooted and everything appears to be working remotely. I'm not sure why the fixed IP in the hub is a problem - it had been working for many months - but this setup is just as easy.

I really appreciate all the fast responses.

3 Likes

It's the DNS. If you had gone in and reset the DNS to 1.1.1.1 anmd hit save and done it would have achieved the same thing. Resetting to DNS is easier though. Instead consider using a reservation in your DHCP going forward. That way if your DNS or other parms change, you only have to change them in one place.

2 Likes

This topic has been marked solved by the community and subsequently closed. For further discussion on this topic, feel free to create a new thread under a different category to continue the conversation.

If you are logged in, click [HERE] to get started.