What’s the best, budget friendly, accurate temperature sensor

Those Ecowitt sensors are really nice. I have been buying the Acurite Temp/Humidity Sensors and working on a ESP8266-based gateway which I have to now write a driver for, but I would rather switch to the Ecowitt sensors at the same price plus with a display.

I also built 2 ESP-01 based sensors with a DHT22 and loaded Hubduino on them, and they work okay, but seem to fall of the network every two weeks or so.

2 Likes

What is your budget?

I know this is an old thread, but I have a dumb question. Followed the amazon link, you have to buy the GW1000 wifi gateway as well right? I'm assuming you connect the sensors to the gateway and then the gateway connects to hubitat? Thanks!

Ancient thread I know, but I need a few new temperature and humidity sensors. Looking to see what folks like in the $40 and under range each. My Aquara sensors are flaky and unreliable so I'm not spending any more time and batteries on them, so looking for alternatives.

THANKS in advance

ZSE44 is nice and small, seems to work good in my garage. Takes CR2450 batteries which is sort of annoying and the voltage / percent is unreliable so I just run it until it stops reporting. Zooz Z-Wave Plus 700 Series XS Temperature | Humidity Sensor ZSE44 - The Smartest House

This Third Reality one also works great if you want a display on it. Takes regular AAA batteries and so far mine is still at 100% from Dec 2022 when I bought it. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BF9W3WMK

1 Like

For <$15 delivered in quantity, I really like the Sonoff SNZB-02P. It’s a touch quirky to setup (there’s a custom driver here that really helps,) but once you get it dialed in, it’s great.

I have 3 in use, and across all three, they appear to be precise, if not accurate. And, I think -based on informal measurements and comparisons- they are at least as accurate as any other temperature-measuring smart device I have. I just haven’t done the legwork necessary to vouch for them being accurate.

I like that the new P models have a large 2477 battery, which -to me- is a good tradeoff for a smaller device size than a CR123 or CR2 would allow.

1 Like

I tried one of these for my HVAC / thermostat control, and it only reports every 5 minutes which, for me, is too long.
Have you been able to get it to report more often?

Right now I am using the Zooz zen44x's and they work great.. just no display.
One of my zen44x's temp has gone out of cal on the humidity by over 10% and I cannot calibrate that out though....

This is the TR sensor over 6 hours. There are spots where it reports in less than 5 minutes. I think it triggers off of a 0.2 degree change. Most of these changes are 0.1 - 0.2, this thing is by far the chattiest sensor I have. I am surprised how well the batteries are lasting with how often it reports in.

I checked the Zooz docs and yes the firmware adjustment only goes to +/-10, but there could be a separate calibration on the driver side that allows infinite adjustment.

I've been very happy with my Ecowitt Sensors, about $15. The only draw back is you need a gateway or console. I've replaced all of my sonof temp/humidity sensors with them. I have two sensors left and I'll have the whole house monitored.

I did buy the GW2560 console and the WS90 sensor suite, but the thing I do not like about it is that it is cloud based.
I just wish it was all local without cloud dependency....
It is still a good station and I also have 5 of the WS31B temp/humidity sensor transmitters.
I might try using them for my HVAC control, but the Zooz's are good also.

Wanted to add that I have a Davis VP2 station and it works great and FAST update... 3 second wind speed and direction.
The ecowitt is only 6-8 seconds.
My Davis is about 15 years old though, so I don't know how accurate the outdoor temp//humidity sensor is and there is no way to integrate it with HE.

It isn't cloud-based. Your console picks up the data feed directly from the devices locally. The cloud connection is optional and only necessary if you want to use their app and portal to display on Ecowitt.net. Even then you are only sending data to the cloud to be displayed in the app. Not dissimilar to Wunderground or Weathercloud. It doesn't do anything to the function of the sensors. and the data on your console isn't coming from the cloud. As a matter of fact, one small drawback is if you happen to have another Ecowitt user in close enough proximity to you (like next door) your console could pick up their devices rather than yours. You definitely can have it locally. @sburke781 ecowitt drivers are for a local LAN connection and work very well and are well supported. Even to set up and adjust the settings for the GW2000 (gateway, but same functions as the console without the display) you don't even set a password unless you want it to feed to the ecowitt servers. But for setup and configuration, neither a user ID nor a password is required.

Here is a side-by-side comparison of what the apps do. looks like WS Videw Plus is the one you want to by-pass the cloud. I will say, however, the Ecowitt app makes it a bit easier to include new devices.
(Professional Weather Products | Smart Home Product – Ecowitt)

2 Likes

AHHH yes!
I forgot about that integration.
I did have it installed but was having some problems with HE and the problems seemed to appear when I installed the Ecowitt app, so I removed it and haven't re-installed it.
I do have my console setup for local data to HE, but I have it disabled right now.

I am going to start it up again and use it for the temp/humidity sensors.
I do like the fact that the sensors have a display on them.... kinda convenient.

Thanks for "jogging" (kicking) my memory!

3 Likes

If you run into problems again or have questions, Here is the thread for it. The folks over there, and the developer @sburke781 are really good about helping out. @kahn-hubitat seems to also be a wiz at Ecowitt stuff.

2 Likes

Thank you!
I re-"activated" (installed) the app and driver and it is working great!

2 Likes

Thanks all! I bought a couple of the Third Reality sensors and they work great! Even inside the refrigerator. I wish they had a keyhole on the back for wall mounting.

So same question but for an outdoor sensor. No display needed, just want to hang it out of the sun and rain. Ideas?

Try a 3M command strip. They hold well and don't leave any marks when removed.

3 Likes

I have one of the third reality sensors outside on my patio and it’s working great.

1 Like

Today's temperature sensors are actually very good:

I've performed a number of tests on different temperature sensors. It seems I'm plagued with an OCD itch when there are multiple sensors for the same measurement.

Now I KNOW that for a temperature sensor anything less than 1 °F doesn't mean a damn. Partially because 4 feet away its likely 1 or 2 degrees different.
And when outside at 35°F it doesn't matter if its 32 or 38, you feel cold. However in the home, I can feel a degree change (I don't know the temperature but I can feel the change). So as long as a measurement is consistent the absolute value has little meaning.

Having said that; This is what I found in my last test. The test is done with the sensors in a cardboard box which is in another larger cardboard box. They are set in an are with minimal thermal changes. They "soak" there for maybe 4 hours.
The SHT30 is a Sensitron sensor with a stated accuracy of +/- 2°C ( ~ 1 °F).

The data is relative but shows there is very little difference between these devices.

I think the semiconductor folks are doing a great job.

Temp °F delta
ecoBee Remote 73.6 -0.155
Sonoff xxxx 73.24 0.205
Aqara xxxxx (with 3 dots) 73.778 -0.333
Aqara xxxx 74.33 -0.885
SHT30 with OLED (oled not in box) 73.445 -
3 Likes

Anyone found a driver that will expose this in HomeKit? I’ve tried the usual assortment but all just show 0 degrees.

ONENUO Tuya Zigbee Temperature and Humidity Sensor with LCD Screen Digital Display Wireless Thermometer Work with Alexa Google
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0F8PQk

Does it show the correct temperature on the device page in HE? That has to be correct before it can be shared to Homekit.

1 Like