What’s the best, budget friendly, accurate temperature sensor

If you run into problems again or have questions, Here is the thread for it. The folks over there, and the developer @sburke781 are really good about helping out. @kahn-hubitat seems to also be a wiz at Ecowitt stuff.

2 Likes

Thank you!
I re-"activated" (installed) the app and driver and it is working great!

2 Likes

Thanks all! I bought a couple of the Third Reality sensors and they work great! Even inside the refrigerator. I wish they had a keyhole on the back for wall mounting.

So same question but for an outdoor sensor. No display needed, just want to hang it out of the sun and rain. Ideas?

Try a 3M command strip. They hold well and don't leave any marks when removed.

3 Likes

I have one of the third reality sensors outside on my patio and it’s working great.

1 Like

Today's temperature sensors are actually very good:

I've performed a number of tests on different temperature sensors. It seems I'm plagued with an OCD itch when there are multiple sensors for the same measurement.

Now I KNOW that for a temperature sensor anything less than 1 °F doesn't mean a damn. Partially because 4 feet away its likely 1 or 2 degrees different.
And when outside at 35°F it doesn't matter if its 32 or 38, you feel cold. However in the home, I can feel a degree change (I don't know the temperature but I can feel the change). So as long as a measurement is consistent the absolute value has little meaning.

Having said that; This is what I found in my last test. The test is done with the sensors in a cardboard box which is in another larger cardboard box. They are set in an are with minimal thermal changes. They "soak" there for maybe 4 hours.
The SHT30 is a Sensitron sensor with a stated accuracy of +/- 2°C ( ~ 1 °F).

The data is relative but shows there is very little difference between these devices.

I think the semiconductor folks are doing a great job.

Temp °F delta
ecoBee Remote 73.6 -0.155
Sonoff xxxx 73.24 0.205
Aqara xxxxx (with 3 dots) 73.778 -0.333
Aqara xxxx 74.33 -0.885
SHT30 with OLED (oled not in box) 73.445 -
3 Likes

Anyone found a driver that will expose this in HomeKit? I’ve tried the usual assortment but all just show 0 degrees.

ONENUO Tuya Zigbee Temperature and Humidity Sensor with LCD Screen Digital Display Wireless Thermometer Work with Alexa Google
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0F8PQk

Does it show the correct temperature on the device page in HE? That has to be correct before it can be shared to Homekit.

1 Like