What platforms are folks running Node-Red on?

I just setup a RPi4 8Gb using Berry Boot to install the Raspberry OS on a 128Gb SSD. According to Sysbench, the CPU was almost 3x faster than my other RPi4 4Gb running off an SD card.

Once I have determined that it is running reliably, I am moving my Node Red flows to new machine. Any suggestions or warnings on doing the transition? Is there anything that might bite me in the a$$?

RPI 4 2GB with 128GB SSD via docker with lots of other containers specific to home automation (and Apache reverse proxy to get to everything). I’ll post my configs if folks are interested.

$ docker ps
CONTAINER ID        IMAGE                   COMMAND                  CREATED             STATUS              PORTS                                                            NAMES
5d0f111f2ab1        camect-connector        "/usr/bin/entry.sh p…"   13 days ago         Up 13 days                                                                           camect-connector
3ba698567165        nodered-buster          "/usr/bin/entry.sh n…"   13 days ago         Up 13 days                                                                           nodered-buster
57b75bcbdd2c        docker-apache           "docker-apache-entry…"   3 weeks ago         Up 22 hours         0.0.0.0:80->80/tcp, 0.0.0.0:443->443/tcp                         docker-apache
37224e261e9b        hubconnect-proxy        "docker-entrypoint.s…"   3 weeks ago         Up 2 days           0.0.0.0:22000-22001->22000-22001/tcp, 0.0.0.0:22010->22010/tcp   hubconnect-proxy
e9e353dc98e6        raincloudy-flask        "python3 /code/rainc…"   3 weeks ago         Up 24 hours         0.0.0.0:5059->5059/tcp                                           raincloudy-flask
ac789c5f93de        ecovacs-api             "/usr/bin/entry.sh p…"   3 weeks ago         Up 2 weeks          0.0.0.0:5050->5050/tcp                                           ecovacs-api
8ad0ff0fb52d        smartthings-nodeproxy   "docker-entrypoint.s…"   3 weeks ago         Up 3 days           0.0.0.0:8080->8080/tcp                                           smartthings-nodeproxy
d606ac82bb6a        oznu/homebridge         "/init"                  4 weeks ago         Up 2 weeks                                                                           homebridge
addcc78dbea1        portainer/portainer     "/portainer --no-auth"   4 weeks ago         Up 2 weeks          0.0.0.0:9000->9000/tcp                                           portainer

Running on an RPI 4 with 4GB mem and 32GB SD Card + 32GB backup usb using RPI Clone.

Have also run NR in a Proxmox LXC with Ubuntu server.

One day in the near future - oDroid N2+ with 4 GB mem.. 32gb emmc maybe usb/sdcard backup.

1 Like

RPi 3b+
Works fine.

QNAP NAS / Container Station

Docker on unraid

I am running Node-RED on Windows 10 on an Intel i5 CPU, 16GB Memory, 24TB “home server”. Same system hosts Channels DVR, Plex Media Server, InfluxDB Data Historian, Grafana, and HomeBridge.

:point_up:

Production - RPI 4, sandbox Win10 laptop

I'm running it in a docker container on ubuntu server on a dual xeon machine with 128g of ram, 1t of SSD, and 50tb of HDD. runs like a charm.

2 Likes

I should hope so that's a beast of a machine!

I'm running it as a home assistant add-on. And home assistant is running on an Intel NUC

1 Like

FYI, you may want to hold off on updating node-red.

1 Like

What reason do you guys update node red for?

Short answer: updates to node-red (particularly to built-in nodes).

For example, there were big (useful to me) changes to the inject node between 1.0.x and 1.1.x. 1.1.x also brought the capacity to group nodes, which hasn't been useful to me.

1.2.1 has brought some improvements to importing flows, especially as pertains to configuration nodes.

5 Likes

Ooo, I love that idea. How are you doing the Sandboxing?
Do you basically have both Node-Red instances connected to HE?

I'm running Node-Red on a Raspberry Pi 4 Model B - 2 GB RAM
Other HE related items I have running on it;

1. NTP Server
  2. Sonos HTTP
  3. Homebridge
  4. Node-Red (in very light use)

Yes two MakerAPI instances, one for RPI other for Win10. Don't see any noticeable performance impact. Also have MakerAPI for HomeBridge

2020 i5 8gb mac mini.

Mac mini M1 - Docker on a UPS

The Mac mini is running all other house systems - Music Library, Plex, TV tuners/DVR etc etc

Mac mini M1 using 18w

Now adding Node Red.

2011 i5 24Gb Unraid server with a ton of other services and such.
I have experimented with putting it on a raspberry pi either as with ubuntu, or under VMWare ESXi on a VM.

Currently my prod instance of it is on the Unraid server. It is already a always on system that wold be running regardless so it might as well house Node-Red