What platforms are folks running Node-Red on?

Wish it had built-in ethernet.

agreed I guess you could use a Ethernet to usb adapter but that adds to the cost and it only has 2 usb ports

I bought an N2 thanks to your recommendation and it is great! A little trickier to get set up and a bit more expensive. You may need some additional accessories if you want to change your distro etc. Definitely more powerful though. Don't know about the longevity/reliability but given the tech it seems like it will last.

Having said that - the PI4's I bought previously have actually been okay. I have just installed one at a client of mine's house (NR + HE combo) - and it's been running in test mode for quite a while. I do have a backup script called "rpi-clone" that periodically copies the disk image over to a low profile usb just in case.

1 Like

Why do you give me reason to spend more money my wife won't like that :joy:

Edit* although I can't see them readily available in the UK

2 Likes

You have to be careful - chatting with @aaiyar and others on these forums (gaahhh moca adapters) can get expensive.

2 Likes

RPI 4 works fine with an SSD HD, You still need the SD card to boot, but that is changing.

I have SSD on RPI 4 for daily backups as well as NR logging, works very well

Fanless i7 / SSD with lot of rs-232/rs-485 ports / dual lan running W7 (for various reasons):
hosting some music server, NR and various tools to manage my plc's and modbus devices. 12V DC powered (solar).
probably not the best machine but works as expected 365/24/7 without any failure.

3 Likes

I'm running node-red through home assistant on a NUC6.

I am running NR in a proxmox VM on an older Intel i7 NUC. Works great.

Have Mosquitto MQTT broker and Weewx on an RPi 3.

A client of mine is now running with a 4GB RPi 4 (sd card with usb backup).

Have an ODroid N2 (thanks @aaiyar!) ready for a new NR instance / experimentation possibly.

1 Like

Docker and K8S on various different hardware (I have multiple docker swarms).

My main production instances are all Docker - K8S is just for testing.

I don't recommend K8S to anyone that doesn't explicitly NEED it, really, the tools aren't user friendly in the least and it is much more complex to both setup and maintain long term. It may be great for huge scale deployments at a large company with support staff, but it is awful to use in home environments.

Headless RPi 3b.
Works beautifully.

Docker on a Synology NAS. Works beautifully.

Headless Pi 3b+. Working like a charm.

Headless Pi 3b+ No issues here. The real statement that you should be considering is what you're getting yourself into with each method. Some are easier and more straight forward setups than others.

1 Like

Same here. Also mosquitto and motioneye on the same pi.

Running docker container on Unraid.

I did that before moving to a Pi3 (which was before my current setup), but it limited some of the node modules that could be installed. Specifically, node-red-node-discovery had some mdns dependencies that weren't included in the docker image. I needed that to keep my chromecast audio groups up to date since they like to switch primaries often.

FYI you can now boot from SSD/USB on a pi 4. (I set it up a few days ago - relatively painless).

Having said that, it is apparently picky on the particular USB interface - the Startech one works fine for me.

Just moved my RPI 3 onto an SSD, was reasonably simple once I'd gotten my head around it