What is the simplest way to detect a power outage?

@ogiewon :+1:
Entire home power failure.

Thank you @darren.rockach. I can consider that, but as it would be the only Zwave device in my house, I would prefer a zigbee solution if available.

I have a Cyberpower UPS, connected to a Raspberry Pi running NUT. I then use @ritchierich's NUT driver for Hubitat to talk to the RPi.

4 Likes

Why's that? You could certainly find a plug location close enough to the hub to make it work. And, they aren't that expensive.

Ring Extender 2. Here is my post in another thread with my rules and a discussion:

1 Like

Another option is to build a power monitoring device from an inexpensive set of parts. See the following thread for ideas.

2 Likes

It sound reasonable, but I have some resistente to switch on the Zwave just for it. Do you have any example of a ring rule for that?

Again, see my post just above, where I provided my rules.

1 Like

And then you can also just monitor the status of an always-on LAN device with no additional hardware required whatsoever. However, this method does rely on your home network...

@roberto - are you located in Italy? Does Ring make Z-Wave products that are sold for the Italian market?

You can use the qnap notification centre a UPS and ifttt for power loss notification using the ifttt tagged email service but I find the Ring Range Extender to be much simpler and also much faster and reliable.

Good point, I hadn’t checked @roberto‘s bio, which says he lives in Rome, Italy. Ok, Ring won’t work.

It should be available in EU https://it-it.ring.com/products/alarm-security-range-extender?variant=31352674156567
I could profit of the selectable Zwave frequencies in the new C7 hub.
Stll I'm wondering why this simple (and useful) devices are not broadly available with different technologies.

Simply FYI, that’s the Ring Extender Gen 1, not Gen 2 (which has the 700 series chip).

I believe it is due to the fact that most users would have very little use for power outage data, as that typically means a total and complete loss of LAN, WiFi, and Internet connectivity as well.

If you're home, it is obvious that the power is out. If you're away from from, and the power is lost, what can one really hope to do about it?

There are two very common uses for monitoring power, which goes back to my first question.

1. If power is out completely, perform a safe shutdown of various devices before the UPS loses power.
  2. If power goes out on a refrigerator/freezer circuit, make sure someone is notified immediately to go save hundreds of dollars worth of food. (This can also be useful for knowing when critical medical devices have lost power.)
2 Likes

@ogiewon yes, they both are of my interest. one more is a security matter. As intruder could cut the power off (or simply switch off the main) I would turn red some internal and external emergency lights as deterrent. Of course I've UPSed the network items (HUB, router, lights)

1 Like

I chose to simply ping a Sonoff WiFi device that I have in use every x minutes.
It’s not powered by the UPS that powers my router, switch and HE so when a ping to the Sonoff fails, I assume power is cut.

1 Like

That’s one reason why the Ring extender is so nice (I’ve got 4) - it has battery backup, keeps repeating for your mesh during power fail. Think about trying to turn something on/off during power fail - you need your network and a path to devices, and devices need power, too.

I do something similar but with Node-red. I have it shut down Hubitat if it detects an outage, send a notification and then when power comes back on, restart Hubitat

@roberto - if you are using Node-red, here is a link to how I do this.

https://community.hubitat.com/t/shutdown-and-restart-hub-in-case-of-power-outage-node-red-solution-long-read/53052