What does "enable activation optimization" do in Scenes 1.2

Can someone please tell me what does the "enable activation optimization" actually do in Scenes 1.2?

I searched the community forums, and documentation, and I can seem to find this.

TIA

1 Like

This is a common problem in several areas where it gives you an option but no explanation as to what it does.

Here's some "documentation" :slight_smile:

Hang on, that may not be what you are referring to....

I can only imagine it is the same thing....?

Maybe it is.... maybe it isn't. Since there's no description, how are we to know? If it is the same thing, then the same terminology should be used for both groups and scenes.

1 Like

I know about that. And in 35 years of programming and 40 years in computer, I wave learned assumptions are almost always wrong. This the question. The option isn’t even worded the same, but I Donau spacer it may be the same thing too. Still want to know for sure.

My guess is that if any "member" devices in the scene are already reporting that they are in the target state, then the Scenes app will skip sending any commands to them. So, similar to "on/off optimization" for groups, except encompassing additional attributes, which is likely why they were not worded the same.

But @bravenel would have to confirm. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Correct.

2 Likes

Thank you. I think I am going to give this a try, and see if it speeds up my goodnight scene.

So here is an interesting one on this topic. I noticed in my sleep scene a device was not coming on. I suspected this may have to do with activation optimization, indeed it does. The scene calls for the device at 30% and on. The state of the device when the scene activates is 30% and off. So even though only 1/2 the parameters are correct, scene optimization skips turning it on. It would be really nice if it recognized switch and level as separate things,

This is not how it is supposed to work. Would you turn on logging for this Scene, and see if you can capture this behavior. This should be fixed.

Please tell me, what type of device is this, and what driver does it use?

It a Lutron Caseta device over Telnet. Funny thing, I disabled activation optimization and then re-enabled it and now the device seems to be working. I will keep the logs on for the next few nights and if the problem replicates, will report them back here.

@bravenel

I was able to recreate this two nights in a row, but it is sporadic. As you can see from the log, Foyer table lamp does not show as being sent a command, but the scene captured state shows it on and at 30%.

I need to see the app's logging. This is most likely a device that is not reporting/responding correctly. What kind of device is it?

1 Like

I do wish all Hubitat features had CSS hover text descriptions of what they do.

Lutron Caseta plug in wall dimmer.

Would the app logging be under the gear icon in the scene capture screen?

It's on the app main setup page, at the bottom. Enable Logging.

Forgive me, but I turned on enable logging for this scene and then went to logs and posted the screen shot of that log. I may be looking at the wrong log or tab in logs.

Sorry, misread that. What happens if you open the app and hit Activate? I'm assuming that button is available?

Yes, button is available. Activate appears to activate the light which is intermittent.

Would maybe recapturing or rebuilding this scene be of any help? Maybe starting over and reading the device?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.