What Do You Want to See in Your Hubitat Hub?

Needs differ. For instance, my automation was entirely sensor driven. A fancy GUI is just wasted CPU cycles for someone like me.

Hubitat interacts with a large number of external systems with GUIs for those who’s needs exceed what is provided by dashboards.

5 Likes

I'd love for there to be a "re-send state to all devices" command, and a native way to know if power went out. If power goes out, I'd like to know when it comes back so the hub can keep trying to set devices to the state the hub wants it to be in until it succeeds. Stupid switch that doesn't remember state? No problem. Power goes out and one of my sink sensors detects water, the hub will try and close the house valve. In my case it will fail, because the valve has lost power, or at least a repeater that facilitates communication to that valve has lost power. 3 minutes later, power comes back on, and the hub thinks everything is fine, even though it asked for "close" and now the valve reports as "open".

I could probably make some kind of code that does an if-then for every parameter in every device, but I'd like it to be a simple "re-apply all states" or whatever. I could also overcomplicate my automations to have loops with waits, but that's just asking for a neverending task.

I'd like a Hubitat hub w/more memory and a faster processor.

But fat chance they'll ever do that! :wink:

Pretty much my situation. But I do get that the gateway drug for true home automation for some is access to "home control" where they control a bunch of stuff from a dashboard/buttons of one type or another. Would drive me crazy, but it's like my wife's button mania. Took a couple years for her to stop wanting to manually control everything via buttons and see the benefits of true home automation. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

You could write that into a rule. Everytime a device is set , set a variable. Note the variable and then on boot have a notification that your hub just started (denoting the power failure) then set everything via the persistent variables.

I mean, then I need to set SO many variables. Invariably, the one thing that would be "important" to set, I'd have not properly set it. However, you are right ... I really only care about the safety things (water stuff, basically).

Oh, and my hub never loses power. I currently detect power loss with a relay; janky, but it has worked for 5 years.

1 Like

You mentioned in another thread

If you have batteries in the valve, it should still work if you also have your hub on battery backup. If you don't, you really should. If there's no way you can join the valve directly to the hub, then I would personally also look at a battery back-up for that repeater.

Which water valve do you have? I’m using a leaksmart zigbee valve, which has a battery backup if mains power is lost.

1 Like

I have that one, and I don't have a battery in it. I could put one in it, but I was of the opinion it would re-route itself once-in-a-while to optimise the mesh. If so, then I functionally have to have 100% of my repeaters on backup in case it happened to connect to something else. Also, I have no idea what is doing what repeater/direct wise, because my hub can't tell me.

I would suggest putting the backup batteries in your water shutoff valve so that it can function as intended during a power outage if that’s when a leak occurs (assuming the hub still has backup power).

2 Likes

I added batteries; the 0% battery warning on my battery dashboard was kindof annoying. Reporting at 100%, but if I unplug power Hubitat doesn't operate it. The controls on the front still work. I'll leave batteries in there for a week and see if it remembers how to work.

I believe you've just identified two good reasons to buy a C8 Pro.

I don't know this to be a fact, but it could I suppose. When I had my Leaksmart valve connected (but not installed) for testing, it was close to the hub and never joined any of the repeaters that were closer than the hub was. What you can do is move your existing C5 close to your Leaksmart valve, and put the hub on a battery backup (there's plenty of inexpensive options for that). Then connect it to your new C8 Pro via Hub Mesh (Be sure you keep your C8 Pro and router/switch on battery backup too). Leak mitigation is vitally important. You spend a few hundred on the C8 Pro hub and battery backups, but you could end up spending many thousands of dollars
on damage from a water leak.

Once you have a C8 Pro you'll be able to see this in a Zigbee network map. However, you've always been able to view the route table on your C5.

http://HubIP/hub/zigbee/getChildAndRouteInfo

Obviously, you need to replace HubIP in the above, with the actual IP address of your hub.

1 Like

Oh interesting. Apparently nothing is acting as a repeater in my zigbee network, including that Leaksmart valve. Just a pile of :
status:Unused, age:null, routeRecordState:null, concentratorType:null, [Unknown, null] via [Unknown, null]
... in the Route Table Entry.

Anyhow, I was thinking the valve was ZWave; I've often had problems with those devices, not so much zigbee (though I have relatively few connected right now). I had planned to try and just go all zigbee, but at the time switches were non-existent.

There are three kinds of zigbee devices in a zigbee mesh:

1. A single coordinator (the hub).
  2. Zigbee routers, which repeat transmissions from the coordinator to Zigbee end devices and vice versa.
  3. Zigbee end devices, which communicate to Zigbee routers or the coordinator, but do not repeat signals.

The LeakSmart valve is configured (within its firmware) to function solely as a Zigbee end device. So it will never function as a repeater.

5 Likes

Items for the list.

More Europe/Uk device support
Energy monitoring like home assistant.
U.I. More Modern design.
Updates to official apps, i.e. Philips Hue to support all Hue devices like remotes, motion sensors, like the unofficial app. Sonos app to officially support favourites as part of automations.

That would do it for me

1 Like

This caught my eye. I'd still be using HE today, but on a dare from my son I got an HA Green a few weeks ago had me find HA is now ready for me (though I'm not yet ready to mess yet with YAML).

I suppose I'll re-integrate HE for its Z-wave one day, but it was too easy to have Hue hubs, Nests (with Starling hub) set up with HK providing voice control. But the GUI difference is compelling (esp. dashboards), and was the biggest gripe with HE (not that I griped much, it was just accepted).

For whatever that's worth.

There's a scenario that might explain the C8-Pro. This is pure speculation, but it's possible that one or more components in the C8 is end-of-life and can no longer be sourced (or sourced at a reasonable cost).

The C8-Pro is largely a C8 with a different SOC. Same radios, antennas, case, etc. Existing molds can be used, existing packaging, etc., and probably relatively minor mods to the PCB. Also, FCC certification can be streamlined for an existing product that has minor modifications, especially if the radio circuitry hasn't changed. At least, this was the case a while back when I worked for a company that produced hardware with a radio.

I think it's a safe bet to say that the C7 is no longer manufactured, and probably the C8 isn't either. When existing stock sells out, they'll probably disappear.

Exactly. For me it's almost a #1 priority. Completely understand your point but there's no reason it can't do both.

I am sure this has been said, a better interface would be nice. It looks super dated, even perhaps a cloud based front end as a secondary interface.

and a better dashboard. I LOVE LOVE Sharptools, but I just lone for a local version.

I also would like a better way to make automations, I am going to try to do more Pistons other than Rule Machine, but I would love a better GUI version, even if its an app that you have on top of it. (Windows/Mac/Tablet/Phone app)

I'd like to see sharptools on hubitat, local.

6 Likes

I would like to describe a superb way to display ALL of your devices on an easy to use Dashboard, using the existing Dashboard app. This approach is great for quick and easy display (not control).

[Please note: this is not my work, and all credit should go to @krlaframboise ]

1. setup Simple Device Viewer: available here:
    Hubitat/apps/krlaframboise/simple-device-viewer.src at master · krlaframboise/Hubitat · GitHub

2. When you get it working, you will see at the top of the screen a URL, which looks like this:
    https://cloud.hubitat.com/api/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/apps/3611/dashboard/alarms?access_token=yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
    Copy that URL, and put it into the Mobile App, in the URL line.
    Also, set to on, the "Enable Custom Dashboard" switch.

3. Go to Dashboard in the Mobile App to see a complete display of every device, sensor.

1 Like