What do you do with a ghost node?

I had huge issues when I migrated to the C7 from a C5 too. About every other device was a ghost for the first maybe dozen devices. After that, it seemed to get better. I went through that whole remove/refresh/repair cycle many times, and just like you, I couldn't get them removed. The Z-stick is the only thing that was able to remove them.

It took me a long weekend working 10 hours or so a day to migrate. It was painful, and I never hope to have to do it again. The Zwave mesh was really messed up for a while, especially at first. Once I got most of my devices back into place, it stabilized. Things are good now.

It does seem that the Z-stick is the surefire way to remove ghost nodes. I don't know if I am just impatient, if Hubitat hub doesn't remove ghosts correctly, if the UI isn't reflecting reality, or what. But with the Z-stick, I can click "is failed" and then instantly click remove, and the ghost goes away. I don't get that same instant reaction with Hubitat.

I believe it is not recommended to do a full Zwave repair with the C7, usually you just do the individual nodes. That might be why you are getting all those failed node messages.

Can you screenshot your Zwave details page? Maybe someone can spot something that will help to get things figured out. (Other than the obvious ghost issues)

Here is how I was able to remove Ghost Device node 0A with remove status : 0
The sequence was:

• Added one of my unused switch;
  • Changed his ID to 0A (0A was unremovable ghost);
    Well, after this change the device became unresponsive
  • On the Z-Wave Details found this device with ID 0A
    Clicked Refresh button.
    Clicked Remove button after it popped up

And Bingo!
Gost Device with ID 0A was removed

And don't forget to unpair this unused device.

2 Likes

Hmm, well that's interesting, I'm curious if that's considered "safe"?

I've heard this too. I have to ask, and I asked @bobbyD too, then why does this option exist? Not only exist, but is labeled "Repair", that is "fix" or "make better" but really it means "commit suicide"??? It's perplexing to have a button labeled as "I'm here to help!" but are specifically told "never click it because really it only makes things really, really bad" Why does it even exist? Especially for all us C5 owners who were so used to clicking it to make things better. It just seems like really bad UI design.

Sure, see below.

The SimplicityStudio software is a free download from SiLabs. PC Controller is a part of it, but only for PC, not Mac. However, the software (and PC Controller) does install and run on a PC virtual machine on a Mac. While there is a native SimplicityStudio for Mac, the PC Controller software is only with the PC version.

Sorry, I just meant I misunderstood. I have a Z-mote (which is great for excluding devices), not a Z-stick. I have a PC, just not the device/software.

Nothing looks all that awful on a quick look at your table. Maybe someone else can spot something?

That ghost on 62 has to be one of the Front Bedroom devices?

Did you try doing a shutdown, pull the cord, reboot, and don't touch anything (repairs or adding devices or anything like that) for at least a couple hours? Mine really got better after the overnight maintenance, maybe that will do something to help yours too?

Oxymoron of the year! If you can dig up a copy of PC Controller, I like it a lot better.

It "repairs" a bad routing table, say if you move a working device from one room to another, but is no magic button to repair a bad node, for example. Unlike Zigbee, Z-wave is not very forgiving when it comes to missing nodes. Running repair on an unhealthy mesh could be a lot worse than not running repair at all.

1 Like

Actually, it's one of the Inovelli's for the Basement Stairs. I went from the front bedroom down to the basement when I was building out my mesh. I wound up removing them and re-pairing which is why they are at the end of the list now. At least I think that's what it is. From what I can tell there is no way to get any device info to learn what it is?

Hmm, well that's interesting, I'm curious if that's considered "safe"?
According to bcopeland this is safe method.

1 Like

It's a free download from the Silicon Labs website. With SimplicityStudio v 4, PC Controller was a part of the download. With SimplicityStudio v 5, PC Controller has to be added from the menus as a tool, which downloads it. PC Controller does not run on the Mac except in a virtual box. There's a thread on the forum here about how to install it in a Mac virtual box.

The native Simplicity Studio v5 for the Mac does not have PC Controller.

Yep, it's the Oxymoron of the Year.

1 Like

Interesting. A thought -- seems like a great opportunity for a warning dialogue box then to inform the user when it should be used and when it will make things worse. Why? Well it avoids user frustration when it makes things worse and it prevents support situations (like this one) where someone does something they shouldn't have because there was no indication in the UI when it should be used.

2 Likes

There is only one thing worse than adding a secure HEM to a C7... adding 2 secure HEMs encrypted with S0. Looks like both of your HEM are S0. Those are known to be very chatty. If you had them on C5, they were likely non-secure.

1 Like

Ok. I can remove and re-pair. Do I just uncheck the boxes? I thought the suggestion was you should use the default checkboxes when pairing?

I carefully unchecked all of the boxes when I migrated to C7. I went out of my way to have no secure devices. The only encrypted device I have is the garage door. Everything else is none. Call me old school but I think the mesh responds a lot faster.

Honestly, our engineers didn't test the gen 5 and we don't have a built-in driver for them. You might need to keep those on the C5 if you cannot include them unsecure. They tend to be very chatty and have seen hubs running into troubles using these on C7 hubs. And while you're at it. Please be sure that any other power reporting devices are not sending frequent events and that they are not included secure. Overloading C7 radio with power reports is the leading cause of bad Z-wave experience. The next release should resolve some of these issues.

S0 removed. Unfortunately that has now left me with one of those devices as another ghost node. Sigh. At least with a lot of repeated clicking of Remove it eventually went away

Whew! I've also found sometimes waiting overnight helps. I think there's some sort of ZWave cleanup activity that happens overnight that seems to help. Sometimes.

I'm nota n RF or software engineer but I suspect a lot of this is more a result of the SDK than anything HE can do...

If you are 100% sure that the ghost node is the switch you think it is, disconnect power to it. Shut down the hub from the settings menu. Unplug the HE from the wall (not the HE itself) Wait 5 mins then power back up. Now go to your z-wave table and click remove (repeatedly) After about 6 or 7 tries wait a minute or two. You may get another popup about removal. Repeat this for each difficult ghost. If when re pairing a device it fails, stop everything and check for the ghost. You can try to hit discover and that will sometimes find it, if not remove ghost before proceeding.

4 Likes