What do you do with a ghost node?

I feel your pain. Ive had some zwave woes. Just wanted to say im routing for you. Not that its very helpful. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks, I wish I had better news to share. I just had a device turn on 82 minutes (yes minutes, not seconds) after I sent the on command... how is that even possible? For those out there who know zwave better than me, what could even possibly cause that? I assume there are some devices being super chatty or something causing lag? Is there a way to see what devices are doing that? Or is that not even a good theory?

I’d suggest that you wait until 2.2.8 comes out before you make your decision. No, I’m not a beta tester, and I have no inside knowledge. But there is always the hope that the Z-Wave stuff improves. It’s certainly a mess now on the C-7.

2 Likes

It’s not me you have to convince. WAF is real. Right now it’s at right about zero and every day that goes by where things don’t work, it doesn’t get better.

I enabled debug logging and descriptive text logging for all devices hoping I’d see someone who was being unusually chatty but nothing from what I can see. Is there any better way to find out if a device is clogging up my mesh?

Zniffer, or PC Controller watching Z-Wave traffic. Also, Z-Wave Toolbox. It’s got an issue, discovered by @dennypage, whereby it can mess up a HomeKit system.

Do you happen to have a summary of the numbers and types of devices you have connected? Might be helpful to see what you’re running, maybe something will stick out.

What I’ve seen some people say can cause problems in the past is some power monitoring devices, certain zwave sensors, and I think there’s a Zooz device or two that some have had issues with.

From personal experience, my zwave has been pretty stable, but I recently added a S0 Yale zwave lock (my only S0 device) and that has really causes me some problems with other stuff occasionally failing to respond. I only mention it as any S0 devices could introduce instability, so if you have any could be worthwhile to exclude and test again, basically try to go through a process of elimination on potential problem devices.

I’ll try to put a list together but I have a bit of everything. Dome, Aeotec, Innoveli, Homeseer, Monoprice, GE, Zooz, Fibaro, Enerwave. Like I said, a little of everything! @bobbyD already looked through my list of Zooz devices and didn’t spot a concern.

Again though, all these same devices were fine on my C5. I’m thinking of turning off S2 for everything to eliminate one more variable.

2 Likes

Not a bad idea. I had 2 device models that did not behave properly when joined using S2 auth. @bcopeland fixed both of them after some time. One of them would work a few times, but then would quit responding until the device was power cycled.

The first point of concern I spotted were the 2 HEM included with S0. I stopped exploring there, because those are enough to bring a mesh to its knees in your particular situation. My hope is that the next release will ease the hammering impact of chatty S0 devices.

Gotcha. I have disabled all S0. Also, one of the HEM now has reporting turned off (I just need it has a high amp switch).

Sigh. And now my database is corrupt... Again. 500 errors on every page. Second time in a week I’ll have to soft reset.

Are you seeing any errors after recovering the db following the Soft Reset? Resetting brings back the hub, but doesn't cure what caused the db to become corrupted in the first place. Without resolving the problem, it's just a matter of time before it becomes corrupted again.

I don’t know because there is no way for me to view the logs after the corruption, right? I’m not sitting and monitoring the logs so I really don’t know if there are errors as I haven’t looked in hours. At that time the only noteworthy error was that I get Alexa errors near constantly

Sure it is. A few hours after you perform a Soft Reset, if you have 5 min, you can quickly scroll through the past logs to check for new errors and if there are any, to identify where they are coming from.

Oh I mean there was nothing noticeable after the soft reset. I can see a billion SQL errors in the logs but that sounds more like a symptom than a cause. I’m not sure I understand how looking at logs after will indicate what happened earlier? This didn’t happen right after the soft reset. It happened almost a week later.

Not saying that looking at logs after reset will tell you what happened, but may tell you if it will happen again. Prevention is better than autopsy, in my opinion.

1 Like

Agreed. I might have to build a way to ship the logs elsewhere. The problem is, I’m not able to sit there and monitor so it’s hard to spot stuff before the logs rotate out.

Think your wife would be interested in that job?

If you don’t see me post again it’s because she killed me when I suggested this :joy:

4 Likes