What became of the "radar" sensor

Hi Hubitat, what ever happened to the new radar technology that @mike.maxwell and greg were talking about?

2 Likes

@BorrisTheCat, so funny that you ask this as I was thinking the same thing this week and was trying to find more info about it. I searched for "real" ocupency sensor and all variables of this and could not really find anything. Nice that you quoted the source of that info.

I can't beleive that companies would not research this technology to be able to recognize the presence of a person in a room without having to rely on movement alone. I think that some sort of multi sensor using different tech (IR camera with pixel change over time with blackout zones, IR movement detectors, radar, etc.) could really be effective.

Hope what @mike.maxwell was refering to, will be as effective as it seems and at a price point affordable for most people.

2 Likes

It is probably vaporware like half the cool stuff you see announced at CES, Kickstarter, and elsewhere.

Sometimes these concepts or technologies will show up in other applications like in manufacturing or automotive, other times it just seems to go away without a trace.

It sure would be interesting to hear an update, or what brand(s) they were talking about so we could research it.

2 Likes

This object recognition vision set up (below) actually does an impressive job of spotting me in a room, whether I be standing, moving, sitting down etc. I have it working in my Living Room and it means that the lights stay on even with no motion (eg. we are sat watching TV). I don't use camera motion to switch lights on for a number of reasons, but for cancelling timeouts this setup is really good.

2 Likes