Presence Sensor, not Motion

Which devices can do this? Do you have an example of one (even if not compatible with Hubitat)?

That is just brilliant!

2 Likes

Just a little .exe (Compiled script) And driver that I wrote a while ago because I was having issues with normal motion sensors.
It’s been working well for me for a while.
I’m not too sure but I think @Royski uses it too

3 Likes

Is it available on your website?

Wish there was a pressure/weight sensitive switch for the toilet seat in our bathroom for long periods of no motion ...

3 Likes

At the moment no.
I just wrote it for my own use and never intended releasing it.

I believe someone has already released something similar here:

Although I don’t need maker api for mine to work

Andy

5 Likes

I use a camera linked to tinyCam which support object detection (including face and person). When I'm sitting in the lounge watching TV or suchlike, the camera sees me (either face or person) and sends an http GET to an app on HE that sets a virtual motion sensor (eg. living_room_samsung_cam_person) to active. It updates every 30 seconds automatically. It means I can remain motionless and the lights will stay on. If I leave the room, the lights go off. I only use motion detectors not cameras to trigger the light on in the first place, because cameras are notoriously poor at false triggers (eg. light or shadow changes etc). But for presence sensing using object detection to keep the lights on, it is very reliable.

Take a look at this thread...

4 Likes

Years ago I was introduced to these sensors Panasonic grid eye. At the time they were hard to get! I always wanted to develop room sensors with these things, maybe I should look at them again :grin: you would be amazed what can be done with them. From room presence/movement to hand motion gestures. The great feature is, it can tell if there someone there and if the motion is to leave the room or enter.
Ada fruit grid eye

2 Likes

@marktheknife

OK.. I looked again at the install/setup for the previously linked 'PC Motion Sensor'
It looks quite complicated so I decided to release my much easier to configure system

It's just a special driver and a little .exe program to run on your PC it does not require the use of Maker API.
I will stress that I have only tested this myself but have not found any serious problems along the way

It is on my website under 'New Stuff'
Please read the instructions, but essentially, you create a new device with the virtual driver, configure the PC ip address then run the .exe on the PC
On first run, it will create an 'ini' file which holds the configuration data for the app

Andy

4 Likes

Andy you are a rock star :metal:!

1 Like

This works great. Mind blown :exploding_head:.

In addition to placing a shortcut in the startup folder, is it possible to run the .exe as a windows service, using something like NSSM?

1 Like

Looking back at my instructions, even by my standards it is much more complicated than it needs to be. If you can make a simpler version that's great. I would like to go back to it at some point and set it up as a Windows Service, which would cut out a lot of the steps required to install and configure it. Nice work on also cutting out the requirement for Maker API.

2 Likes

@marktheknife
Many years ago I wrote something to run .exe as a windows service
I think I used srvany and a script, not sure as it was a long time ago

I’ll have a look to see if I still have it.
But anything that runs an exe as a service should work.

I’m glad it works well for you
Btw, did your av have any problems with it being a compiled script?

Andy

1 Like

Nope! I run windows defender only, but it didn’t complain at all.

1 Like

@marktheknife

I just tried setting it up as a service with NSSM
It didn't work so maybe not compatible as a service in Win10

I'll try a few things before I give up :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Windows 10 has increased the security between Services and the interactive user session. It may not be possible for a service to ‘see’ activity of the interactive user.

2 Likes

@marktheknife
Thank you very much for your donation
Very much appreciated

Andy

2 Likes

I'm tempted to update my driver / application to kick off at startup, include a loop inside the code to handle a polling period and shift most of the config across to a HE device driver, rather than requiring manual updates to config files. The PC-based part could read in the config from a HE device each time it polls, including things like the polling period, thresholds and whether to turn the motion detection off.

The best I could find re having the PC part running regularly was to place it in the startup folder for the user. Like I mentioned above, I would then handle the scheduling of it with a loop inside the code and a polling period config setting in the HE device.

Simon

I really want to try and achieve reliable presence detection in my kitchen. I have two Aeotec Multisensor 6s running cSteele's drivers in the kitchen. They detect motion just fine and turn the lights on when I enter, but their "occupancy" detection is complete crap. If I am at the counter chopping veggies or at the hob cooking, they will lose track of me and turn everything off. It's such a pain and sometimes, even a bit risky.

This is how I have set the rule up. Anyone have any suggestions to improve this?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.