What Battery Size Goes Where

I wish devices had something in the device itself to show what kind/size batteries are needed. Recently moved. I took all the batteries out of my devices. Now getting around to setting things up. Opened a device. Had no idea what size battery to put in. Had to do it by trial and error.

Just a tongue in cheek complaint...:slight_smile:

Several on here are adding that information to the device tab using [RELEASE] Custom Device Note App

1 Like

Of course there is always the manual. I realize it's not manly to read the instructions but sometimes it's wise to cave in.

FWIW I keep all my device info in a device folder. This includes the manual, any custom driver, other notes.

1 Like

I probably have the manual somewhere, just didn’t want to go to that trouble. Turned out it was a cr123, one of those odd ones. AA’s or AAA’s are easy to tell, but not some of the others.

The first thing I do when I get a new device is to download the manual. I have no patients to flatten the folded paper and read the find print.

I think it is impossible to fold in half a piece of any type of paper more than 7 times. However the smaller the devices and boxes get the closer they come to testing that limit.

1 Like

I can see the day when the only thing in the box is the device which has a QR code sticker to scan.

5 Likes

Why do we need a box? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Easy access to battery info via my dashboard courtesy of @thebearmay’s Custom Device Note App and Device Data Display apps (thanks @thebearmay!).

When the battery is changed, its easy to update the BatteryDate info by updating the Custom Device Note for that device.

2 Likes

Now what would be nice is some way to put a link to that manual in the device page so you could jump to it quickly for reference if needed without having to look for it.

I've already seen this.

2 Likes

Of course, there's always the 'no battery' option.

I hate batteries on devices. I go out of my way to find devices that don't use batteries. And, when that doesn't work, I try to make alternate accommodations. For example, my battery-less Ikea shades.

It's not the right solution for everyone and I'm not 100% batteryless. But, life is much simpler without those damned batteries, imho.

1 Like

You can add it in as text now, to enable adding it as a link… I’d have to add some code to the Custom Device Note app but it can be done.

4 Likes

@thebearmay FTW! Comes thru yet again.

1 Like

Hmmm… maybe it can’t be added there as a link. I’ve done it as an attribute in a device driver before but it’s being suppressed in the data section.

Highlight and right-click go to is a very easy action...really don't have to have a link:

1 Like

True, just the challenge :sunglasses:

2 Likes