What are the best/affordable light strips for behind a 60ich tv

Pre hubitat I was thinking spending $120+ on hue. But now, I’m not sure. Reccomendations?

I only have/use one of these. https://www.amazon.com/Quotra-Wireless-ZigBee-Lights-Required/dp/B07JHL6DRV/ref=sr_1_4?crid=QPFBXCW1E26D&keywords=quotra+led+strip&qid=1573438207&sprefix=quotra+%2Caps%2C185&sr=8-4

Although I think future ones that I purchase will probably be the Sengled RGBW strip now that Hubitat has a dedicated driver for them.

1 Like

The singles look really good. I wonder how many meters for a 60 inch tv?

Where are you guys using these strips?

Biased lighting behind my tv

Okay - so here's a rough calculation. If the diagonal of your TV screen is 60", and the screen ratio is 16:9, then I estimate that the long side of the screen should be 52.32" and the short side would be 29.43".

Again, not considering the bezel around the screen, going around the screen would be 163.5", which is 4.153 meters.

2 Likes

Wow, thx

I also have a 55. 3m should work. I’ll post back and let y’all know

You're welcome - I just tried solving the equation:

(16x)^2 + (9x)^2 = 60^2

So x = 3.27".

2 Likes

The 55" will need 3.97 meters.

2 Likes

Thx, I’m going to push them a little in then report back

1 Like

I used a 4m Wenice brand strip to go all the way around my 60" TV then taught the remote to my Harmony Hub for about 8 colors. Since it plugs into USB in back of TV, the strip comes on when TV does. I rarely, if ever want to change color, so i havent investigated getting Hubitat involved.

1 Like

A few friends of mine have these and like the effects you can do with them: (you may need a larger set of LEDs than this, though.)

And I use a Dreamscreen with WS2811 LEDs behind it on my home TV to give an ambilight-like effect.

Before that, I used some RGB/CCT LEDs cut down to size. You could use a MagicHome controller if you don’t mind WiFi, or a Gledopto LED controller, which is compatible with Hue :slight_smile:

1 Like

Bias lighting for tv needs to be 6500k white and only that based on the science. If you buy something else it’s only going to be set to those colors. Your best bet is using an ISF calibrator like Jason who owns/runs MediaLight. I had a minor problem and he was all over making it right in a flash. Also unless you are bias lighting a front projection screen just the the USB port on your tv. No need for any type of home automation at all.

Here is what I bought for our only TV in the new house, mostly because even though it’s a 2019 LG it only powered via USB 2.0 spec. Supports USB 2.0 unlike most needing 3.0. Ironically before I fell apart and got ‘lost’ when we had a 20k 144” front projection screen we didn’t use it. However bipolar manic spending sprees are a massive mess so several years after the bankruptcy our much more modest 3-4K system is using it to great results.

1 Like

I need zigbee though because I also want the lighting to alerts me of things. Kind of a,silent alarm

Zigbee for the TV and let the TV drive the bias lighting? You still get your alerts, A peanut smart plug maybe?

Ok, I just realized you mean like of fire/intruder/water while watching TV. You are trying to combine both a true bias light which is 6500k ONLY with a multi color string..... The problem is if you don't do bias lighting correctly it may look 'cool', but the science behind improved contrast is lost. I'm not sure I'd try to connect them. Maybe use regular bias lighting for the TV, but then run a strip of alarming leds under the lip of your cabinet? Or use the lamps or overheads in the room?

2 Likes

For true biased lighting do you need the bottom of the tv also?

I'm not sure where the $120 price comes from, the 80" Hue strip is just ($79)

I've got one behind my 65 inch TV, and have a frame put together from scrap wood laying around the garage dedicated to the strip itself

Maybe the $80 is still too steep, but also perhaps the sharing the frame idea helps :slight_smile:

I priced 120 because at the store he said I’d need the extension also. With tax at bestbuy it came to $117