What are the best/affordable light strips for behind a 60ich tv

My opinion, you don't need an extension for a 60" TV. but that's just my 2 cents. The 80" strip for my 65" TV has been perfectly fine

You need it to get the contrast improvement on the bottom, but having said that most don't use it because it will reflect badly on equipment and/or shelves which hurts more than it helps. Also generally it's recessed a bit so you can cheat some on what you need. I went about 4" in and was able to do a 75" with only part of the strip I bought.

- Metallica's Unforgiven on piano.

edit - that's at 20%, we normally watch at 10% but I wanted it more obvious for the pic. Also said 70 not 75"

edit 2 - Recessed not received.... already starting to be a fun day.

https://www.amazon.com/Sengled-Multicolor-Required-2000-6500K-Assistant/dp/B07VRJ7ZK3/ref=sr_1_27?keywords=Sengled+led&qid=1573482511&sr=8-27

You think this will due?

Can you send that any papers on this? I’m pretty stoked to read them and see how values of contrast are impacted when the white point of a display is shifted. Otherwise I’ll do some digging later today :slight_smile:

That looks like it would do fine. People around here usually have nothing but good to say about Sengleds, and the CT of that strip looks like it should get into the range you need.

Edit: looks like it’s a bit short on range, though. @aaiyar had said something like 3.97 meters, and that’s only 2m. Might want to throw an extension on as well :blush:

@adamkempenich

A former colleague, who was trained as a physiologist, used to tell me the same thing, i.e. that bias lighting should have a white CT around 5000-7000K (hazy white). He's since retired but I'll see if I can get some journal references for you. There are lots of references on the web to 6500K being ideal. For example:

1 Like

Quick link with links to other sources. . Overall it’s just an ISF thing I’ve heard multiple places. Sorry no time to dig more but I made the mistake of checking mail and right now I’m somewhere that I mentally can’t immediately answer so I had to post something.

Edit:
Also note that the CRI is important and that is one advantage of the one I linked. They test them and toss bad ones. A cheaper light might be all over 91 or it might not. I have 8 sengled daylight smart bulbs in the bedroom because the fan was way too big and heavy to take down for a enerwave relay.

2 Likes

That link had plenty of references. Thank you! That was extremely helpful to me, and no doubt @adamkempenich.

Ok, I decided I NEED zigbee as biased lighting is secondary. I mainly want it as a silent alarm as I watch tv with Bluetooth head phones and never hear doors opening etc. doing some research on YouTube, I need a rf one to control them with my harmony. Know any that do both?

One problem I found with the USB powered leds was my TCL TV doesnt power off the USB port. I went for this Sylvania under-cabinet light at $16 delivered. Attached to the back of the TV with 3M VHB strips. Works a treat. Im not sure its 100% necessary to position the light around the edge of the TV, with this panel attached to the middle of the back of the TV, it bounces enough light off the white wall behind that the effect is ideal. Im also detecting when the TV is on using a Iris 3210-L outlet, and have a rule to control the bias light. I fixed the CT to 6500K and control the level based on mode, 70% in the day, 35% in the evening and 7% at night.

1 Like

@jon1

How many panels did you need? And what's the approximate width of your TV?

Just the one. Its a 56" TV.

1 Like

Do you guys know if for the sengled light strip the sengled hub is needed? Or I can connect it directly to hubitat?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QD2SGDB/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

It can be paired with any zigbee hub, like Hubitat. Notice on that product page that it also says it can work with Smartthings, echo plus, those are both zigbee hubs as well.

1 Like

Great, thanks for info!