What about Z-Wave and CD players?

These switches support long range Z-Wave I take it?
If so, Hubitat isn't doing much to elevate them. :slight_smile:

The 800 series has many benefits over it's predecessors improving on just about every aspect including faster wireless speed, extended battery life, and a wireless range and that is when used with existing mesh network. Using Long Range doesn't improve your existing mesh, as devices must be included separately.

2 Likes

The future of Z-Wave isn't looking so bright these days.

Meh.

I've purchased at least $1000 of Zwave LR devices in the past 3-4 months. It is doing fine by me. lol

But yes, in the long, longer term it will face a lot of competition from competing offerings/protocols. Based on the reality of where Matter is today on the devices I have (and have coded/built), though, Zwave still has plenty of time/life left in it. :wink:

3 Likes

It didn't look bright when Zigbee came out, still around.

5 Likes

When CDs came out, cassette tapes were still around. When was the last time you popped either in to listen to music ?

1 Like

Man, this escalated quickly up from some rando industry rag article about a guy getting laid off at SiLabs lol

3 Likes

Apparently there is still a market for CDs as Yamaha just released a brand new CD changer. LOL

2 Likes

That's how rumors are propagated.

4 Likes

Really? wow

You can even pre-order one, today: CD-C603 CD Changer - Yamaha USA

2 Likes

:rofl: when we moved here, we threw out a Sony five disc changer that looked exactly like that and could do everything that one can do, except for the USB port on the front

3 Likes

I don't have any audio CDs anymore, but my dad bought a new Toyota Highlander last summer and was REAAAALLY POed that it didn't have a CD player. That's all of his music. :slight_smile:

I truly think he would have picked a different vehicle had he known it didn't have a CD player. He didn't think to check/ask and was completely nonplussed when I had to tell him that a lot of vehicles don't have CD players anymore...

4 Likes

Someone will need to show him how to rip all his CDs to a USB stick… :wink:

2 Likes

Tell him not to worry, I am sure Yamaha will come up with a new portable CD, soon. :rofl:

1 Like

When my father in law bought his last vehicle he bought a new previous year model because it still had a CD. It was the last year it was offered.

2 Likes

My father-in-law’s car has a CD player too…with a CD stuck in it! :joy:

1 Like

It's all about the products. Companies like Zooz and Inovelli are developing them and they're pretty good.

RE: CDs, remember that you don't own anything on a streaming service. Probably a larger issue for movies, but some issues for music too.

1 Like

Just tell Sony to re-release their 300 CD/DVD changer that I had for many years until it died...I still have a ton of DVDs that would be nice to have easy access to, and I'm too lazy to rip them all (especially since most are available online). But I feel the pain of hundreds of DVDs doing nothing... :wink:

1 Like

I'm still a CD devotee.