WebCore Re-installation?

I’ve been using WebCore for some time and have about 50 pistons. I seem to have reached a stage where WebCore updates always fail and mess up the hub. I’ve tried disabling WebCore before updating, rebooting, restoring back ups and nothing works.

I’m concluding that it may be best to remove WebCore and then re-install it, but am concerned that I’ll lose or have to re-link all my pistons back to devices.

Can anyone advise whether this is a good approach and how to minimise the time taken and avoid losing piston investment!

There are quite a few threads here on migration and one from HE itself I believe.
Have a seach or start here: webCoRE built-in on Hubitat - Do I need to transition and how?

While your issue may be different, I'll mention in case you weren't aware (and are not using the built-in version): recent versions of webCoRE are having problems automatically updating via HPM due to the large app size and built-in timeouts of the methods HPM is using to perform the updates. Manual install/update is a workaround.

This would not cause pistons to fail or anything else on your hub to go wrong; it's just an inability to update the webCoRE app itself via HPM. Thought I'd mention in case you were not aware and this is all you're seeing!

That sounds like the problem I’m having. Hence I’m thinking I might as well bite the bullet and reinstall with the built in version. It’s just how to get there from here without losing pistons is my challenge!

Well correct me if I'm wrong. You can go into the webcore console, backup all your Pistons and then restore them into the new console. Thus, you shouldn't lose anything. That's what I did when I migrated from one hub to another.

2 Likes

You'll be fine. Just follow the link advice andn BACKUP your pistons very first thing.
You can always recover with that file.
I, for one, like maually updating the app from the Github links as the code maintainers have quite often fixed issues with WC or the GUI for me months ahead of it reaching the HE build allowing my pistons to run properly Right Now. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks. When you restore them do they link back to the correct devices ok?

Yes they should. You didn't change the guid/device identifier so they should map back correctly.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for your help. I looked at the piston backup and re-installation route and it would be many hours of work for my installation. I have numerous devices mixed with legacy SmartThings hubs and selecting from hundreds of devices which ones are correct for the new instance is very time consuming. Add to that the apparent need to restore 62 pistons one at a time, recreate all of the global variables etc and it's not something I want to do. I've opted for updating the existing instance manually until HPM can catch up.