WeatherFlow - any developers working on integration?

Json is mentioned here in the WeatherFlow API doc, but I don't know what context that is. Sorry for my ignorance. I am not a programmer in any form, and even getting my head around RM and all the other aps has been a challenge for me (coming from ST and basic webCoRE).

Again, not being a programmer, I don't really know where to start with this, but I will check it out. I appreciate your help.

Im not a developer either, but If you’re able to follow step-by-step instructions to flash the firmware on a router with DD – WRT , then you should be able to use this set up from Pat O’Brien’s (Method 2) to capture the data as it’s being sent to Weather Underground. You can stop at the end of the router setup section. That’s all you need.

Ignore that the blog post says it’s for the Observer IP. All you need to have is the correct driver for your weather station in Weewx. To be honest that is the tricky bit, but once you have this set up it should work and you’ll be able to send data from Weewx to habitat via Andy’s driver. I tried many methods with my Ambient Weather station and this is the one that easily worked the first time using Pat’s instructions for the router.

Thanks @SmartHomePrimer, I will have a play with this next weekend.

1 Like

Amy further development with weatherflow?

After 3 days of playing with this I was able to get my Weather Flow working perfectly in HE.
Ubuntu to collect data using Weewx (installation of Weex & WeatherFlow configuration)
Ubuntu for the web server to create the JSON file (apache install and configuration)
Weewx driver (from Cobra) installed in HE

If anyone would like the directions distilled down, please PM me

Matt

I have integrated my WeatherFlow 3 different ways. Not because I needed to, but because I was trying to learn something...

1. Can do it via WeeWX, as mentioned above.
  2. Can do it via an external node.js script, pushing into Hubitat via MakerAPI
  3. Can do it via Node-Red, pushing into Hubitat via MakerAPI

So, ok. Maybe that is only 2 ways technically (?). :smile:

That's great. Don't suppose you happen to have a "for dummies" instruction on how do option 2 (or 3)? Would like to get this integration working, but won't have a chance to play with it for about 2 weeks.

I would be happy to share the flow I'm using in Node-Red, if you know/learn Node-Red it is pretty simple to understand what it does.

And I did share the node.js script I use in another thread, if interested.

But in terms of writing a walk through or a step-by-step, I don't really have time for that right now.

No worries, completely understand.

If we could have UDP working well in HE this could be a local driver and things like LIFX would have an easier life too

2 Likes

+1 looking for good weatherflow integration.

+1 here as well, but will try the rpi and WeeWX option this weekend.

Until Hubitat supports continuously listening on a UDP port, an integration probably won't happen.

For now just use Node-Red, WeeWX, etc. I just use Node-Red and puke everything from Weatherflow into MQTT. Then I can use it anywhere MQTT is supported.

Until Hubitat's MQTT support is non-alpha/beta, I am pushing the values I need from Weatherflow/Node-Red to Hubitat via MakerAPI. I'll swap that over to MQTT as soon as it is stable, though.

Just another (newbie) interested person needing/looking for a WeatherFlow driver(?) to incorporate all the features from the SmartStation. Trying to get away from iFTTT.

Same answer as the last post. Until Hubitat supports listening for UDP messages, or someone does it that harder way and makes a Hubitat app/driver that implements the weatherflow API, not likely to happen.

I just can't see someone taking the time to do it the longer API way when it is so easy to do in Node-Red or to bring Weatherflow into WeeWX and integrate that into Hubitat.

It is super easy to listen for the weatherflow UDP messages in node.js or Node-Red, though, and push the values you want to Hubitat via Maker API. That's how I've been doing it for months.

1 Like

Are you running Node-Red on a pi then importing it, or how exactly are you doing it?

Talking to me? If so, I have node-red on the same network as my weatherflow. Node-red listens on the UDP port for the messages and then I parse the messages and dump the ones I want to MQTT and Hubitat.

There is now a specific topic for the WeatherFlow API driver I have just published the first version of. So if anyone wants to get a development API Key from WeatherFlow (hint: Google "WeatherFlow development API Key") you can check it out.

1 Like

Fantastic! Thanks @snell, I'll check it out now.

I have just posted version 0.02. I found a problem with how I was naming child devices. It was more problematic with my AmbientEcowittWeather driver, but I decided to make sure they were both fixed.

A new version of the WeatherSensorChild driver was also posted.