Watt usage monitor

sorry the system wont allow me to post photos

if you email me at bonusgelt@gmail.com
my auto responder will email you a link to my photos

Correct. But if it uses a NEMA 5-15P plug, it uses 15A max.

All @user6069 knows is that it is a 20A breaker. That does not mean the pump is a 20A device.

As an example, once upon a time, all dishwasher circuits were run as 20A circuits. But my last two dishwashers came with NEMA 5-15P plugs; i.e they needed 15A max. And that’s why NEMA 5-20R receptacles are designed in a manner that one can plug in either a NEMA 5-15P plug or a NEMA 5-20P plug.

1 Like

That’s your pressure tank, not your pump. The pressure tank doesn’t use any electricity.

If you join the owners group, you can post photos. You can join the owners group here:

http://community.hubitat.com/g/owners

1 Like

Yeah, I was gonna grab another one and was really disappointed.

If you’re still wanting another IoTaWatt…

1 Like

I think @marktheknife was looking for another one too (I'm likely wrong on that though)

1 Like

:thinking:

hi guys !
i found on amazon
Poniie PN2500 Professional NEMA 5-15 for $49.99
would it work for 20 amps ?i am getting confused reading the amazon description. not sure if its chinese junk or a good device?

No. Devices that use 20A are required by the NEC to use a NEMA 5-20P plug. That device has a NEMA 5-15R receptacle. The two are not compatible.

thanks ashok
would you know of a similar device to the one I showed on amazon?
i need a simple plug in device.
i have limited electrical background

Nope. I don't know of any plug-in NEMA 5-20 watt meters. When I searched on Google, I found this:

https://www.amazon.com/Current-Amperage-Voltmeter-Multimeter-Transformer/dp/B07JB9B2QL/

This will work, but you will need an electrician to install it for you.

i see
do you think there are some plug in ones? so i can save the electrician fee
or what can happen negative if I use the plug in i showed you?
i mean i wont blow up the house? correct?

None that I could find.

And I'm sorry but I have no comment on your using any particular device to meter a load.

you guys know a ton.
i wish i had the knowledge you aaiyar and the other commenters have

i found on amazon
Poniie PN2500 Professional NEMA 5-15 for $49.99
would it work for 20 amps ?i am getting confused reading the amazon description. not sure if its chinese junk or a good device?

Probably not blow up. But worst case scenario, it could burn down, yes.

1 Like

It's not 20 amp. The best way visually to tell if it's 20 amp is if it has the T slot on it.. Obviously you want to double check the ratings in the devices specifications... The other issue you want to address is that you really want UL listed. If something happens and there is a fire, it's likely the 1st thing the insurance company is going to check for. Also for the love of what ever deity you worship, PLEASE DO NOT USE 14 GAUGE WIRE with 20 AMP devices!!!! You will most certainly burn something!

20 Amp

15 amp

2 Likes

@user6069

From my limited understanding of zigbee clusters, it looks like there is a 20A in-wall zigbee receptacle that supports power reporting. I would suggest keeping an eye on this thread:

If my understanding is correct, then this 20A zigbee device will support power reporting:

2 Likes

thanks, ashok

thats very kind of you.