WaterCop Z-Wave water valve not working correctly

DEAD also might mean SLEEPING :slight_smile:

Battery devices, since they sleep, may show as Dead. (My Minimote is showing dead as I type this.)

If it's a battery device, don't panic on "dead." :smiley:

Edit: I clicked the Minimote's button #1 and the 2nd time it did what's intended - and "dead" became "alive"

True, but watercop is mains powered.

I do have that "dead" status after a reboot as well but not all the time. Usually cycle the valves once with Hubitat or physically will bring them back to alive.
I have 4 Z-Wave Contact sensors with the same issue and I think it's related to mesh after a reboot.

@Navat604 I finally got around to installing a smart switch that my WaterCop is plugged into. Like we discussed over in this thread:

In case you haven't setup a rule to automatically cycle your switch upon restart of your hub, you can do that since the "systemStart" event is logged that you can subscribe to:

Here are the action settings:

Hopefully @mike.maxwell/@bravenel will eventually fix the driver so this isn't required but this certainly works in the mean time.

Which driver?

Using the Generic Z-Wave Valve driver. The WaterCop fingerprint was added to the 1.1.0 release:

and what's it not doing on startup that it should be doing?

Each time I restart the hub or apply a firmware update the valve becomes "dead", in the old zwave status, and unresponsive. It loses connection to the hub. The Close and Open buttons do nothing.

@Navat604 and I have found that we have to power cycle the valve to get it working again.

Hey @ritchierich, I think our valves frozen is not caused by the valve driver but most likely by the dashboard. I am half way on a month long vacation but I removed my valves from the dashboard and have no issue controlling them after the last update and multiple hub reboots.

Wow month long vacation, I am jealous! Enjoy.

I don't have my valve on any dashboards. The only app subscribing to my water valve is a "Water Detection" rule that turns off the valve if water is detected on a water sensor. This issue happens on almost every reboot of my hub, but sometimes not.

Yeah, very strange. Possible the limit setting of the valve as well. I also have 2 dome valves without any issue.
I think the WaterCop valve freezes if no open/close limit is reached within a set time and I find the rotation of the valve is a little off once in a while.

@ritchierich, my valves been working flawlessly since firmware .113. Been closing and opening almost daily for 2 weeks without issue. Are you still having issue?

I created the rule (shown above) to automatically power cycle the water cop on each restart. Since that has been in place I haven't had any issues.

bringing a dead post back to life. I finally see the error in the log when the valve is unresponsive until you press the physical mode button on the valve or power cycle to bring it back online.

here is the error when it's unresponsive.

dev:6322019-02-03 02:18:12.909 pm errorgroovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: genericZWaveValve.healthPoll() is applicable for argument types: () values: [] (healthPoll)

--- Live Log Started, waiting for events ---

when you press the mode button. The valve sends a status back to the log and start working again. @mike.maxwell?

This is using the generic z-wave valve driver.

That error is unrelated to the problem. At one point you must have tried a different driver that scheduled a method called healthPoll to execute at regular intervals, but since the built-in driver doesn't have that custom method it throws an exception.

The error isn't hurting anything, but if you want to get rid of it you'll have to remove the device and join it again.

Regularly opening/closing the device, like others are doing, should prevent it from dropping offline.

Thanks for the reply. That's the weird thing about it. I did not change the driver to the valve and there's no refresh or poll button to the HE driver for me to create this fault either. I have 2 valve and the prevent this issue. I have a smart plug power cycle the valve nightly.

@Navat604 do you like the Watercop Z-wave water value? I brought two of them and have not use them as of yet? Just curious as to whether they are reliable? Thanks

They are reliable only if you cycle power to the valve or operate the valve once every 2 days. I have it hookup to a Zigbee switch and auto power cycle once a night at 2am.
I have 2 valves as well but only one hooking up to the water line. The other one sitting on my "to do" box.
I like the valve and it's working great so with HSM.

Thanks for the feed back sound like there is an issue if you don't recycle it.

I'll jump in here just to add another data point ...

I have three WaterCops and they all work great ... never needed to power cycle any of them, but I do open/close the valves (via Hubitat) about once a month or two just for the heck of it --- I'm easily amused by their operation, LOL.

I also have a very strong Z-Wave mesh, so I'm pretty sure that helps.

1 Like