Water Flow shutoff valve's that work with HE

I haven't migrated my valve from SmartThings yet, but as @aaiyar mentioned, it is a generic driver. When I spoke with someone from EcoNet, I was told it pairs by default (at least in SmartThings) as a generic switch. This held true when I added it to my system. I suspect either will work fine.

1 Like

Mine is "Generic Z-Wave Valve" - I don't think it was recognized at first just showed up as "Device". I had to manually change it to the generic driver then hit configure. Works fine so far.

2 Likes

Good to know. I'll be moving my sensors and valve controller across later today or tomorrow.

Based on "paper search" the Sinope valve seems a good product too. it is also supported by native HE drivers. It is a zigbee one and has a battery backup. I would like to buy when the producer will let a EU version (mainly the thread) available, if ever.

1 Like

I was thinking about this the other day. How about a more DIY approach? I was thinking of a simple Normally-Closed 120V Water Valve that you hook up to a HE-controlled power outlet.

Would that be viable or am I missing something here?

What happens if you lose power? You also lose water.

I have an inline controlled ball valve (LeakSmart) that I bought for about $50. That is just twice the price of a good NC 120V valve.

Edit: It has battery backup, and manual operation, so it can be closed/open even if there's power.

2 Likes

If you're willing to risk the DIY approach just go for the cheapo Zigbee valve instead.. less expensive, less likely to cause issues by "failing"...

1 Like

Thanks for the tips. There are more options on the market than I thought there was!

1 Like

I use that aliexpress one for water. Just got it a couple of weeks ago. For the price, it's awesome. It reliably shuts the valve completely. But, when it opens it, there's another 1/8" or so to go. No biggie.

Just ordered another for gas.

What sort of automation do you have in mind for the gas shutoff?

Do you have the link for the one you have?

It's at the top of this thread.

Gas sensors in utility rooms and maybe other places in the house, and close the valve if gas is detected.

Is there a zwave or zigbee gas sensor? :thinking:

Not sure. Probably will use Hubduino if I can't find a zigbee one.

Edit: disregard, reading comprehension failure. Water cop is shutoff only, not a flow meter.

I have a Water Cop Z-Wave shutoff valve that has worked very well over the past year. I do recall reading that some older versions of this said Z-Wave, but was proprietary to some abandoned ATT system. The version I have is the standard Z-Wave version and seems to be quite solid.

I actually have a second Water Cop shutoff + valve that I never used and may end up selling since my intended use case changed.

mind if I pick your brain on this, does it out of the box monitor the amount of flow per second and will it shut off water if it thinks there is a broke pipe ?

or do you have to wait till its hooked up to something such as HE first before it will do any of that ?

I am looking for a shutoff value that measures water and will turn off and the ability to see all of this thru HE

Sorry about that, I completely missed the "flow" part! I'll edit my post.

Search the forum for Gas Sensors. I don’t know about the others, but the Xiaomi/Honeywell sensor has connections for an auto shutoff valve.

Just be sure it’s designed for the use, with an explosion-proof motor. Otherwise you’re going to create a much bigger problem than the one you were trying to solve.

1 Like

https://www.domeha.com/z-wave-water-main-shut-off-valve

1 Like