Water Flow shutoff valve's that work with HE

If you're willing to risk the DIY approach just go for the cheapo Zigbee valve instead.. less expensive, less likely to cause issues by "failing"...

1 Like

Thanks for the tips. There are more options on the market than I thought there was!

1 Like

I use that aliexpress one for water. Just got it a couple of weeks ago. For the price, it's awesome. It reliably shuts the valve completely. But, when it opens it, there's another 1/8" or so to go. No biggie.

Just ordered another for gas.

What sort of automation do you have in mind for the gas shutoff?

Do you have the link for the one you have?

It's at the top of this thread.

Gas sensors in utility rooms and maybe other places in the house, and close the valve if gas is detected.

Is there a zwave or zigbee gas sensor? :thinking:

Not sure. Probably will use Hubduino if I can't find a zigbee one.

Edit: disregard, reading comprehension failure. Water cop is shutoff only, not a flow meter.

I have a Water Cop Z-Wave shutoff valve that has worked very well over the past year. I do recall reading that some older versions of this said Z-Wave, but was proprietary to some abandoned ATT system. The version I have is the standard Z-Wave version and seems to be quite solid.

I actually have a second Water Cop shutoff + valve that I never used and may end up selling since my intended use case changed.

mind if I pick your brain on this, does it out of the box monitor the amount of flow per second and will it shut off water if it thinks there is a broke pipe ?

or do you have to wait till its hooked up to something such as HE first before it will do any of that ?

I am looking for a shutoff value that measures water and will turn off and the ability to see all of this thru HE

Sorry about that, I completely missed the "flow" part! I'll edit my post.

Search the forum for Gas Sensors. I don’t know about the others, but the Xiaomi/Honeywell sensor has connections for an auto shutoff valve.

Just be sure it’s designed for the use, with an explosion-proof motor. Otherwise you’re going to create a much bigger problem than the one you were trying to solve.

1 Like

https://www.domeha.com/z-wave-water-main-shut-off-valve

1 Like

As I was mentioning in my earlier post, I've now completed migration of my water sensors and EcoNet valve to HE. It's paired as a 'Z-Wave Generic Valve'. Everything is working great. I also had a plumber come in on Monday to add plumbing for a second valve I just purchased. It opens a second valve to a drain once the first one is closed to shut off water supply. This coordination works great to quickly bleed pressure and further reduce potential damage. The second valve is on a 3/4-Inch line, but reduced to a 1/2-Inch drain line. We've got a house full of copper pipes that are nearly 60 years old. The intent was to reduce a sudden drop in pressure to be a little easier on connections. It was very straight forward to create a simple automation in RM.

Gas sensors are something else I'm interested in looking into (as others have mentioned).

Hubitat supports the Heiman Zigbee gas sensor natively:

2 Likes

Thank you, didn't know those existed. Is it a repeater by any chance? Is it a good repeater?

I don't know the answer to that question. I would doubt it. Plus I have mine in my crawl space anyway so not near other devices.

It is a line powered device, so there is a reasonably good chance it is a repeater. When I looked at their website, it didn't say either way. Almost all line powered Z-Wave and Zigbee devices are repeaters.

@bcopeland @mike.maxwell

Are you able to add the fingerprint on the next release for the EcoNet EVC200 Bulldog Valve Robot which is a Z-Wave Shutoff valve:
https://www.econetshop.com/bulldog.html
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DJZCFBH

From Logs when I got info from the Device driver:
fingerprint mfr:"0157", prod:"0003", deviceId:"0002", inClusters:"0x5E,0x25,0x85,0x59,0x86,0x72,0x77,0x5A,0x73"

It works perfectly fine with the Generic Z-Wave Valve driver to open and close the valve. I just got it today and noticed others on this post also posted above that this device works for them too but Hubitat was missing the fingerprint.

This is on my C7 hub above.

They actually do advertise it works with Hubitat on their site too which I thought was funny even though the fingerprint was probably never added.

5 Likes