Warning: Aladdin Connect garage door

If you use the Aladdin Connect driver from @tomw , DO NOT let your phone app upgrade. Overhead Door (Genie) has made a breaking change, and once the upgraded app connects, it will break the integration (open and close seem to still work, but status updates don't). And, you can't go back.

It was a real hassle to sort things out the last time they made a breaking change, so don't hold your breath for a fix. OHD really needs to provide a local API.

1 Like

Yeah, just tried it and my status did not seem to update.

FWIW, I installed a tilt switch on the door I get reliable status with no hassles. I could have also used a simple contact sensor with the magnet on the top of the door and the body on the wall.

1 Like

If control still works fine and status doesn't get fixed, I guess I'll resort to a sensor.
Edit: even Control may no longer be reliable.

Well, sh!t. I wish I would have seen this sooner. Thx.

It looks like open is working but close is not, so I just found a solution that works for me for close. You need Echo Speaks app to make this work. I fiddled around with getting “open” to work, but Alexa requires a voice PIN, I can’t seem to be able to get her to accept it via this command.

1. Add and connect the Alexa Skill for Aladdin Connect in your Alexa App, which will create a new Garage Door Device. Call it something different than what you call your regular garage door (so you can differentiate in the Alexa voice command.)
  2. Instead of the regular close action, use the Run Custom Action > Speech Device > “voiceCmdAsText” and specify the parameter with the voice command “close [your new garage device name]” as shown below.

I saw this notice - Aladdin Connect integration will stop working January 23rd, 2024 | Home Assistant Alerts

Based on this, I don't see much hope in reviving this integration in its current form. And because I never actually had an Aladdin opener in the first place, it's probably time for someone else to re-implement it when/if the new API details become available. (@mikes?)

So, I'm going to consider this integration deprecated and won't be providing any more updates.

It was fun while it lasted. As always, I recommend and prefer products with local network support and an officially supported API.

5 Likes

Oh well, it worked great while we had it. I hope it's fixable someday. Thanks for the update.

1 Like

Well, unfortunately, my app updated. Not sure I had a choice. Came here today because my "close" rule didn't work, only the "open" one as @brad described in his post above. This looks to be because the "status" doesn't work as @mikes describes above, and my rule checks the status first. I'll send a complaint email to Aladdin, as I really enjoyed this feature. Thanks so much to @tomw for the integration and support along the way.

1 Like

HomeBridge has a working integration for the new API.

I haven’t been able to poke around in the code yet, but it’s clearly possible.

Hopefully I’ll get some time this week to get an idea of the effort involved.

@tomw if I issue a PR would you consider maintaining still?

1 Like

Thank you for the offer, but I'm not planning to make any further updates. Hopefully someone else can create a new integration to replace this one. I'll remove it from my HPM listing soon, so everyone should Unmatch and Uninstall when it stops working.

1 Like

That's promising. Thanks for the update.

Hopefully someone with skills can get this working in Hubitat again.

1 Like

I gave up on Aladdin. This is the 2nd time they've made a breaking change, and their cloud wasn't 100% reliable, either. Went with a Tailwind, which has the advantage of also supporting a local API. There are cheaper options if you want to piece something together.

1 Like