Wall Mounted Tablet Dashboards

For now, but eventually the battery will expand...

So I might have to buy bigger, better pads in the future.....darn.

I've been meaning to do this for years but just never got around it it.

When I installed my ecobee thermostat, I actually fished another wire to power a tablet in the future.

I have a fire hd7 that I planned to use, but every time I pull it out to play with it, it's sooo slow..

1 Like

The Fire tablets do go on sale very frequently for 50% off or more. So, I would advise hanging tight until one if you go that route. I mostly use Fire HD8s, but I have a tablet in every room in the house. So, HD8s with HD10s in the main areas. If I was only putting a few around, I would definitely stick with the 10s.

I've tried several wall mounts, including what you posted, and like this one the best:
https://www.printables.com/model/250219-amazon-fire-hd-10-2021-wall-mount

I have edited it to reroute the cable to behind the tablet and into the wall. I just printed the first one with the new design yesterday. If I don't find any problems I'll upload it as a remix.

4 Likes

The pins take a little finagling to get the fit right because they absolutely have to be printed with a brim. I also had issues with the holes printing a little more narrow than they should have (but that's more of a filament issue). An xacto knife to get rid of the excess from the brim and a quick pass through the pin holes with a drill bit (I used a 5/32" / 4mm) and there's just enough friction to keep them from falling out.

I also opted to hang mine with gorilla putty instead of screwing them to the wall. Love that stuff.

EDIT: Pic of the backside since I forgot to grab one before.

1 Like

I use these a lot. But I do also use the gorilla putty sometimes. Depends on weight, and if I want it removeable.

https://www.command.com/3M/en_US/command/products/~/Command-Medium-Picture-Hanging-Strips/?N=5924736+3294529207+3294774739&rt=rud

1 Like

I am using 10” Fire tablets running Fully Kiosk with a VidaMount enclosure. Here is a previous post of mine with a picture of it.

I have mine powered from a smart duplex mounted behind the tablet. I have a rule that turns the duplex on when the battery drops below 20% and off above 80%. We have been very happy with this setup.

1 Like

Here's the remix: Printables

1 Like

Check the post i made about the show 15.

Love how you got your camera feeds onto it. I have tried to get my camera feed onto an echo show 8 and Amazon doesn’t support Reolink cameras (or maybe I’m doing something wrong)
What cameras have you integrated?

I use Amcrest, normal shows wont work, Show 15 in firetv mode is special.

Ah, thanks for letting me know :+1:t3:

Probably not as relevant for wall mounting, but I have a tablet mounted on the side of my fridge using 3 magnetic mounts and some metal plates on the back of my tablet. Allows me, on rare occasions, to take the tablet off the fridge and use it.... like a tablet. But like I mentioned, not likely to be as relevant for wall mounting....

1 Like

I really like that. Gonna have to print that if I ever get a tablet. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like this idea. What better place for a dashboard than on the fridge.

2 Likes

Curious how often folks are actually using their wall mounted dashboards. I like the concept, but I’m not sure practically what I’d even need to use it for on a day to day basis.

I use mine all of the time. HSM, alarm system status, security cameras, medication reminder, whole home music control, weather, battery status, outdoor lights, daily love quotes to my wife, always on also a bonus as a nightlight in my bathroom.

2 Likes

I use mine primarily for viewing a single front door camera, notifications of warnings/events and access to other apps or web pages (music, weather, heating) from within the dashboard. Of course I can also manually operate any device/check its status but that’s not its key use. I like that I can do anything from within the dashboard without switching between multiple apps. It’s just a slicker user experience. Rules are still key to my setup however.

1 Like

All the time. I use it to see status of my alarm system and leak sensors primarily.

Wife does not like using voice commands to arm alarm, so she also uses the tablet to arm the alarm/change things into night mode.

2 Likes

I'm glad to see someone has had good luck with Fire TV. I had a 32inch Toshiba Fire TV and got rid of it. It was continually powering off for no reason. Then I would get an update, it would work until the next update and again back to the power off issue. Also, could not change the awake word for Alexa although could change the voice to male.
Went back to my older Samsung smart tv and my issues are gone.