Wall Mounted Tablet Dashboards

I currently have a few android based (no name brand) tablets mounted to the wall that I use for dashboards (using Fully Kiosk pointing to the dashboard web page). These locations replaced old alarm keypads, so I power the tablets from those wires via a 12V to 5V step down.

They are getting long in the tooth and I'm thinking of upgrading them, but this is a topic/area that I haven't put any time/attention into in years.

What are people doing these days for this? I'm hoping to make it look a bit nicer than my corner slide in mounts I currently have, but that is probably less important than functionality.

1 Like

I did the same thing as you have with my old alarm keypads and Fire HD pads. I am please with my pads. I started out with smaller footprint pads but quickly realized that I prefer more real estate, which provides for more tiles and functionality. I'm mainly using HD 10 pads now. I stayed at a hotel once that had a large screen, maybe 12X24 inches, but I felt that was a little too big. I use 3D printed mounts from Etsy for my pads. Very happy at present. And good WAF.

1 Like

Good info thanks!

I am thinking of maybe getting (or 3d printing) a mount kind of like this that can attach to the existing gang box where the wiring comes in:

Yep, I use Mikes exclusively.

1 Like

The issue/trick seems to be around customizing the new 11th gen 10s.... Looks a lot more complicated than it used to be (?)... Maybe a Lenovo M10 plus might be easier...

Does anyone have any problems with keeping them connected to power all the time? I had a Samsung that kinda bloated from that. So I'm leery of keeping them plugged in continuously.

I have had my generic ones plugged in for a few years with no issues. But that is just 1 data point.

Amazon fires. Since you have hard wired power, remove the batteries... Works well

4 Likes

Just watched a video on removing the battery form the HD10 - looks simple.

2 Likes

I never thought of that. All mine are permanently powered and have been for about 18 months

1 Like

No problem with mine powered all the time for over a year now.

Cool, I didn't know removing the fire hd tabs was a thing. I will remove mine, had an old Dell tab battery that swelled also.

Just save the circuit board from the battery. Then solder to that.

I just have Fire HD 10 tablets on the wall directly powered w/battery.
They have been running Fully and work great.

2 Likes

I'm enjoying the show 15 in fire tv mode, plus it already looks like it's in a nice frame.

1 Like

Can you post a picture? Was thinking about going that route myself.

For now, but eventually the battery will expand...

So I might have to buy bigger, better pads in the future.....darn.

I've been meaning to do this for years but just never got around it it.

When I installed my ecobee thermostat, I actually fished another wire to power a tablet in the future.

I have a fire hd7 that I planned to use, but every time I pull it out to play with it, it's sooo slow..

1 Like

The Fire tablets do go on sale very frequently for 50% off or more. So, I would advise hanging tight until one if you go that route. I mostly use Fire HD8s, but I have a tablet in every room in the house. So, HD8s with HD10s in the main areas. If I was only putting a few around, I would definitely stick with the 10s.

I've tried several wall mounts, including what you posted, and like this one the best:
https://www.printables.com/model/250219-amazon-fire-hd-10-2021-wall-mount

I have edited it to reroute the cable to behind the tablet and into the wall. I just printed the first one with the new design yesterday. If I don't find any problems I'll upload it as a remix.

4 Likes