vThermostat with physical temperature sensor nad outlet

Hey, guys, I can't seem to catch on, so maybe you can help me with the thermostat.

I have a physical temperature sensor and an outlet. The goal is simple automation - when the temperature rises above 20°C, turn on the outlet (it has a fridge in it and starts cooling). When the temperature drops below 20°C, turn it off again.

It could certainly be done easily via a Basic rule machine. But using a virtual thermostat should be more convenient, right? It has a nice dashboard element, easy to set the target temperature from dashboard, I can see the system status right away.
But I don't get how to set it up in HE at all. I added a vThermostat device, I have the element in the dashboard. But how to connect the temperature sensor and the socket to it I have no idea.

I must be missing some basic thing.
Thanks for any possible advice.

You would have to use a virtual thermostat device PLUS additional rules to do it, as the virtual thermostat driver itself doesn't connect to/talk to anything.

Basically when operating mode is cool, outlet on, when off, outlet off type of thing.

Or install the user-created advanced virtual thermostat... it's not perfect, but many folks are using it for things like space heaters, etc.

1 Like

Forgot about that one - I agree that would be a better/easier route.

Thanks for pointing me to that direction, seems promising!
I will give it a try.
Tomas

1 Like

Thanks for advice, advanced vThermostat is great. Simple and working.

1 Like