Voice Monkey / Alexa / Webcore / Macrodroid / MakerAPI - have Alexa ask whether you want something to occur

This is an example of how one can use Voice Monkey, Alexa, Webcore,Macrodroid (Android only), and MakerAPI together. Yes, I know - its ridiculously over-engineered for a simple task, but its more a proof-of-concept for getting Alexa to ask you whether you want something to occur on your Hubitat system (rather than you ask it). All I need to do is answer "yes" or "no".

What the following does is: 1) Using Owntracks, if I get within 250 meters of my dog's daycare center, that Owntracks presence sensor changes to present. 2) Using WebCore, that presence change triggers a 1st WebCore piston that calls a Voice Monkey flow. 3) the Voice Monkey flow has Alexa ask me if I want to send a text to the day care (that I'm there to pick up my dog). If I answer yes, then the Voice Monkey flow sends a web request that triggers a 2nd WebCore piston and tells me its being sent. If I answer no, then it does nothing and tells me that no text is sent. 4) the WebCore piston sends a hubitat notification to my phone stating "Text Josh". 5) Using Macrodroid, a notification from hubitat with "Text Josh" triggers a macro that a) sends the text, makes a web request (available thanks to MakerAPI )that turns my dog's presence to present, and then clears the hubitat notification from my phone.

Here's the 1st piston to call Voice Monkey flow based on the Owntracks presence change:

Here's the Voice Monkey flow:

Here's the 2nd piston to send notification to phone:

And here's the Macrodroid macro:

I use Voice Monkey because its the only service I know that is able to respond to questions you have Alexa ask. Unfortunately, Voice Monkey -- and now Webcore -- can't send a SMS, so that's why I have hubitat send a notification and used Macrodroid to send text and trigger dog's presence. If you have a suggestion on how to simplify the above, please let me know!

4 Likes

Nice use of your phone... You may be able to do more, if not all, of that using Tasker, without some of the interaction with HE / webcore... but if you have something that works, probably not worth changing it for now.

Nice work.